Sherri is a pretty and simple baby name for girls. The name Sherri comes with both a romantic and classic feel thanks to its multiple origins. Keep reading to discover more information about the name.
Meaning of the name Sherri:
Hebrew for “a plain”.
Origin of the name Sherri:
There is a way for the baby name Sherri to have two origins. On one hand, it can serve as a diminutive form of “Sharon”, which has Hebrew roots. However, it can also have a connection to the French word “chérie” thanks to the similar sound with Sherri leaning more toward an English spelling on the term.
Symbolism of the name Sherri:
Depending on the roots, Sherri can hold different symbolisms. With its Hebrew roots taken from the name “Sharon”, Sherri is connected to the Rose of Sharon, which served as a symbol of beauty. On the French side, Sherri is connected to the French term “chérie” meaning “darling”, filling the name with love and devotion.
Style of the name Sherri:
Gender of the name Sherri:
Sherri is a girl's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Sherri:
Number of syllables in the name Sherri:
Emotion evoked from the name Sherri:
Sherri is a charming baby name for girls that evokes feelings of grace and sophistication.
Alternative spellings for the name Sherri:
Nicknames for the name Sherri:
Popularity of the name Sherri:
According to the Social Security Index, Sherri had its most popularity as a baby girl name in 1963 as it ranked remarkably high at #78.
Related names for the name Sherri:
Great middle names for Sherri and their meanings:
- Abigail (my father is joyful)
- Shay (stately, gift)
- Zara (blooming flower; God remembers)
- Talia (gentle dew from heaven; by the water)
- Naomi (pleasantness)
- Rachel (ewe)
- Jessie (wealthy)
- Mavis (songbird)
- Dawn (word name)
Famous people with the name Sherri:
- Sherri Martel (American professional wrestler and valet)
- Sherri Howard (American former athlete)
- Sherri Finkbine (American actress)
- Sherri Field (Canadian former field hockey player)
- Sherri Saum (American actress)
- Sherri Sylvester (American entertainment reporter)
- Sherri Turner (American professional golfer)
- Sherri Shepherd (American actress)
- Sherri Stoner (American actress, writer)
- Sherri DuPree (American vocalist, guitarist, and lyricist for the band Eisley)
Sherris in movies/pop culture:
- Sherri Mackleberry (a character from the TV show The Simpsons)
- Sherri Maltby (character from the TV show Desperate Housewives)
- SherriValance (the character in the novel The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton)
- “Sherri” (TV show starring actress Sherri Shepherd)