Tosha is a fun and friendly baby name for girls. Contemporary in sound, this name has an accessible quality that makes in popular in subcultures across the globe. Tosha is the name of an ensemble character in the Barney & Friends franchise, and Tosha is also a main character in The Gifted Sistas by author Lady Sophia. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Tosha:
Swahili: Sufficient, enough
Hindi: Contentment, satisfaction
Russian, Latin: Christmas Day, priceless, praiseworthy
Origin of the name Tosha:
Tosha is a unique baby name with several possible origins. Within African culture, Tosha derives from the stem of the word kutosha and means “sufficient” or “enough.” In Hindi, the name Tosha (तोशा) is a short form of the term Santōṣḥa (संतोष) and means “contentment” or “satisfaction.”
Tosha is also an alternative spelling of the name Tasha. This name originated as a diminutive of the Russian name Natasha. It ultimately derives from the Latin name Natalia (meaning “Christmas Day”). Within some Russian communities, the name Tosha (Тоша) is also an affectionate nickname for Anton or Antoinette (meaning “priceless” or “praiseworthy”).
Symbolism of the name Tosha:
Tosha is a feminine name with various meanings around the world. In Swahili, the name Tosha derives from the word kutosha and means “sufficient” or “enough.” The African symbol of sufficiency or fulfillment is the cowrie shell.
Style of the name Tosha:
Gender of the name Tosha:
Tosha is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Tosha:
Number of syllables in the name Tosha:
Emotion evoked from the name Tosha:
The name Tosha evokes feelings of affection and acceptance.
Alternative spellings for the name Tosha:
Nicknames for the name Tosha:
Popularity of the name Tosha:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Tosha was the 14,240th most popular baby name for girls in 2016.
Related names for the name Tosha:
Great middle names for Tosha and their meanings:
- Alheri (grace, favor)
- Amahle (beautiful one)
- Brittany (person from Britain)
- Chriki (blessing)
- Imani (faith, trust, belief)
- Hemal (golden)
- Kamala (lotus flower)
- Monique (solitary, advisor, alone)
- Rhiannon (great queen, goddess)
- Simone (God has heard)
- Taraji (hope, faith, trust)
- Zendaya (thankfulness, appreciation, gratitude)
Famous people with the name Tosha:
- Tosha Anderson (nonprofit executive)
- Tosha Bailey (entrepreneur)
- Tosha Fowler (television producer)
- Tosha Grantham (museum curator)
- Tosha Jones (television personality)
- Tosha Ornelas (film producer)
- Tosha Owens (singer)
- Tosha Patel (choreographer)
- Tosha Silver (writer)
- Tosha Nicole Zwanziger (singer)
Tosha in popular culture:
- Tosha (character in the Barney & Friends franchise)
- Tosha (character in The Gifted Sistas by author Lady Sophia)