Wes is a baby boy’s name of English origin that means “west meadow”. Wes is a diminutive of the name Wesley but has been popular in its own right since the 1950s. Although it dipped in popularity in the 80s, Wes has reemerged as a favorite for new parents.
Meaning of the name Wes:
English: west meadow
Origin of the name Wes:
Wes is a baby boy’s name of English origin that means “west meadow”. Wes is a diminutive of the English surname Wesley.
Symbolism of the name Wes:
Wes means “west meadow” and is derived from a residential surname. A meadow is an idyllic, beautiful place in nature. Often meadows were used as a place to graze sheep or cattle.
Style of the name Wes:
Gender of the name Wes:
Wes is a boy's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Wes:
Number of syllables in the name Wes:
Emotion evoked from the name Wes:
Wes evokes feelings of charisma and friendliness.
Alternative spellings for the name Wes:
Nicknames for the name Wes:
Popularity of the name Wes:
According to the Social Security Administration, Wes is a popular baby boy’s name. Wes was in the top 1000 baby names from 1957 to 1972 and returned again in 2019. It peaked at #629 in 1963.
Related names for the name Wes:
Great middle names for the name Wes and their meanings:
- Radley (red meadow)
- Hart (stag)
- Merrick (fame, power)
- Kit (follower of Christ, young fox)
- Milo (soldier, merciful)
- Callum (dove)
- Sawyer (woodcutter)
- Lachlan (from the fjord-land)
- Beau (handsome)
- Axel (father of peace)
- Mason (stoneworker)
Famous people with the name Wes:
- Wesley “Wes” Anderson (American film director)
- Wesley “Wes” Craven (American film director)
- Wesley “Wes” Studi (American actor)
- Wesley “Wes” Welker (American NFL football player)
- John Wesley “Wes” Chatham (American actor)
Wes in popular culture:
- Wes Gibbins (television, “How to Get Away with Murder”)
- Wes (television, “Glee”)
- Wes (television, “Recovery Road”)
- Wes (video game, “High School Story”)
- Wes Janson (literature, “Star Wars Legends”)