Winston is a distinguished and powerful name. It is much more common in the West Indie Islands and throughout Europe than it is in America. The first person you likely think of with the name is world leader Winston Churchill, meaning the boy's name may make a return with the vintage feel.
Meaning of the name Winston:
English: wine's town, from Wina's town
Origin of the name Winston:
The baby name Winston was a surname for families in England during the Medieval times. It originally turned into a first name with a spelling of Wynnstan. In the nineteenth century, however, especially with the popularity of Winston Churchill, the name became popular with its new spelling option.
Symbolism of the name Winston:
The baby name Winston comes from the name Wynnstan. Each mean “wine's town” or “from Wina's town” as they began as surnames in England. The families with this last name option were from towns that translated to these two meanings.
Style of the name Winston:
Gender of the name Winston:
Winston is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Winston:
Number of syllables in the name Winston:
Emotion evoked from the name Winston:
Winston feels dignified and strong. It is a name that is formal and that feels heroic.
Alternative spellings for the name Winston:
Nicknames for the name Winston:
Popularity of the name Winston:
Winston has always been a popular baby name for boys. From 1941 to 1943, it reached its peak with a place on the top 300 list of the Social Security Index. The name did decline throughout the late twentieth century, however, but it came back to the top 500 list in 2016. As of 2020, Winston is rank 408.
Related names for the name Winston:
Great middle names for Winston and their meanings:
- Cole (swarthy, charcoal)
- Drew (wise)
- Frances (free one, from France)
- Henry (house ruler)
- Benedict (blessed)
- Forester (woodsman, woods)
- Albus (white, foreign)
- Hugh (soul, mind, intellect)
- Joel (the Lord is God)
Famous people with the name Winston:
- Winston(prime minister of the United Kingdom during World War 2)
- Winston Justice (NFL player)
- Winston Guy (NFL player)
- Winston Marshall (musician from Mumford and Sons band)
- Winston Reid (soccer player from New Zealand)
Winstons in popular culture:
- Winston Smith (character from “1984”)
- Winston Zeddemore (character from “Ghostbusters”)
- Winston Bishop (character from “New Girl”)
- Winston (character from “Hannibal”)
- Winston Payne (character from “Ace Attorney” video games)
- Winston Wolf (character from “Pulp Fiction”)
- Winston (character from “The Maze Runner”)