Desmond sounds simple, but it is actually a name with significant history. What was originally an Irish surname was bore by many famous individuals like war hero Desmond T. Doss. Now, Desmond is even a top 400 name in America.
Meaning of the name Desmond:
Irish: one from South Munster
Origin of the name Desmond:
The baby name Desmond was originally a surname in Ireland. It originated from the family name Deasmhumhain. This latter Irish name was used for individuals who were from a certain region in the country.
Symbolism of the name Desmond:
The baby name Desmond means “one from South Munster” because of the name Deasmhumhain. This very traditional Celtic name translates to “South Munster.” Remember, it was an original family name for individuals from that region.
Style of the name Desmond:
Gender of the name Desmond:
Desmond is a simple baby name for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Desmond:
Number of syllables in the name Desmond:
Emotion evoked from the name Desmond:
Desmond is a simple and serious baby name. It has a mature and wholesome feel.
Alternative spellings for the name Desmond:
Nicknames for the name Desmond:
Popularity of the name Desmond:
The baby name Desmond was rank 900 in 1904, then found brief mentions on the top 1,000 list in 192, 1923, and 1926. The name found a consistent place on the top 1,000 list in 1954 at rank 923. As of 2020, it is a top 400 name at rank 365.
Related names for the name Desmond:
Great middle names for Desmond and their meanings:
- Heath (someone who lived by a moor or heath)
- Abel (breath, vapor)
- Hayes (descendent of Aodh)
- Thomas (twin)
- George (farmer)
- Arthur (bear)
- Phillip (horse-loving, fond of horses)
- Samuel (God has heard)
Famous people with the name Desmond:
- Desmond T. Doss (WW2 Medal of Honor recipient)
- Desmond Bishop (NFL player)
- Desmond Bryant (NFL player)
- Desmond Child (songwriter)
- Desmond Harrington (actor, “Dexter”)
- Desmond McAnuff (theater director)
- Desmond Morris (zoologist, author)
- Desmond O'Connor (comedian)
Desmonds in popular culture:
- Desmond Hume (character from “Lost”)
- Desmond Miles (character from “Assassin's Creed” video game)
- Desmond(character from the Beatles' “Ob, La, Di, Ob, La, Da”)
- Desmond Poppy (character from “Nativity!”)
- Desmond (character from “About Time”)