Brown rice is a healthy alternative to white rice. It is a grain that has only had the hull removed. This means that the bran and germ are still intact. While brown rice is healthier, it takes longer to cook. This is because it has undergone less processing than white rice. Since it takes longer to cook brown rice, the result can be chewy and bland. However, there is a way to cook brown rice perfectly!
Whether you love brown rice for its flavor and health benefits or trying to convince yourself to eat this nutrient grain, you do not have to stick with the bland and chewy flavor. These two methods produce fluffy and tasty brown rice that will want to continuously cook! Be sure to check out the additional ingredients to combine with your brown rice and recipes at the end of this article for more ideas.
The Uninteresting Flavor of Brown Rice
There's no getting around it. Brown rice is not winning any awards for its flavor. In fact, it can be rather bland. Also, when brown rice is not cooked correctly, it can be a bit chewy and not really enjoyable. Yet, when cooked correctly, brown rice is a healthy alternative and can be quite filling. That is because it contains plenty of fiber! This is one reason so many people eat brown rice while on a weight loss journey. The fullness plus the nutrients are a plus.
Therefore, if you want to learn to cook brown rice perfectly, look no further. Let's explore how to cook delicious brown rice below!
How to Cook Brown Rice That Your Kids And You Will Want to Eat
Brown rice is an excellent source of nutrients. Yet, the flavor is a bit earthy and nutty. The earthy flavor is either one that people enjoy or can't stand. If you fall in the “can't stand” category, plenty of ingredients can be added to brown rice, making it burst with flavor.
Since brown rice doesn't have a strong flavor, it is pretty versatile. Brown rice can be a great addition to any meal when cooked perfectly!
- Brown rice
- Water or broth
Note: This method was first submitted to the New York Times in 1991.
The day before, or at least eight hours before you need to prepare the meal, place the brown rice in a saucepan with water or broth. The ratio is two to one (water-to-brown rice).
Next, place the brown rice in the refrigerator and allow it to soak for at least eight hours while covered. However, it is possible to soak the brown rice overnight.
When ready to cook, place the saucepan over medium heat and simmer until the broth or water fully absorbs into the rice. This should only take around 20 minutes.
Although this method takes more prep time, it cuts down cooking time and produces fluffy and tender brown rice, which is a delicious complement to any meal!
How to Cook Brown Rice Without Soaking it the Night Before
Sometimes, it is hard to remember to prep our brown rice the day before, or we are simply in a pinch for dinner. If you do not have time to prepare your brown rice the day before, that is okay! There is still a way to cook brown rice perfectly with this method.
- One cup of brown rice
- Six cups of water
- Large pot
The first step is to boil the six cups of water in a large pot. The ratio is at least six cups of water to one cup of rice.
While the water is heating up, rinse your rice in a colander. Once the water is boiling, add one cup of rice to the water. At this point, the temperature can be reduced; however, ensure the water continues to boil.
Boil the rice uncovered for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, remove the heat and drain the water from the rice.
Pour the rice back into the pan and cover. Allow the rice to “rest” or steam in the pot for around ten minutes. This should be done off the heat.
After allowing the rice to steam, the rice can be fluffed with a fork, add any seasoning and ingredients you desire, and served with dinner!
Delicious Options to Add to Your Brown Rice
It is often said that brown rice is too gummy and lacks flavor. While it is true that the flavor of brown rice is a bit mild and can be earthy, there are a few ways to add flavor to your dish. Adding flavor with various delicious ingredients may give you a new recipe you love! Here are several ingredients that pair nicely with brown rice.
- Fresh herbs
- lemon or lime
- Soy sauce
- Tabasco sauce
- Olive oil
- Garlic salt
- Broth or stock
- Compared to white rice, brown rice has more nutrients and vitamins.
- Brown rice is an excellent, healthier alternative.
- Brown rice is a whole grain and still contains its bran and germ.
- There are more vitamins and minerals in brown rice than white rice.
- Brown rice has a similar amount of calories and carbs as white rice does.
- What makes it healthy are the nutrients that are still intact. These include protein, fiber, iron, magnesium, zinc, and phosphorus.
- Calcium is also found in brown rice.
- Brown rice contains antioxidants that can reduce inflammation.
- Many people eat brown rice on diets as a way to lose weight. It can keep you fuller yet provide essential nutrients that you need.
- Studies show that brown rice may help lower the risk of heart disease and diabetes.
- Brown rice does not contain gluten.
- Brown rice needs to cook longer than white rice.
- The flavor of brown rice is nutty and a bit earthy.
- Brown rice can also be a bit chewy. This is because it has to be cooked longer.
Tasty Ways to Eat Brown Rice
- Peach Pork Chops with Buttered Brown Rice: Brown rice pairs nicely with peach pork chops in this recipe.
- Herbed Beef and Brown Rice Stuffed Cabbage: Herbs, cabbage, and brown rice bring to life plenty of flavor and texture in this unique recipe!
- Healthier Kung Pao Chicken: Do you love kung pao chicken? Use brown rice to replace white rice for a healthier take on this recipe.
- Grain Bowl with Blackened Shrimp, Avacado, and Black Beans: This recipe has many complex flavors! From shrimp to avocado, enjoy your brown rice with rich flavors.
- Pineapple Fried Rice with Ham: Pineapple adds a sweet flavor to the brown rice. Paired with ham, the sweetness will burst!
- Lemon Brown Rice with Garlic and Thyme: Add flavor to your brown rice with lemon and garlic; the tangy flavor will be one even kids love!
- 15-Minute Lemon Parmesan Brown Rice: Are you short on time for prepping dinner? Try this 15-minute recipe tonight.
- Toasted Brown Rice With Mushroom and Thyme Recipe: Toasted brown rice adds a delicious, tasty, and unique flavor.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©DONOT6_STUDIO/Shutterstock.com.