1 pound chili grind meat
3 slices bacon
1 Tablespoon cumin seed, roasted and ground
1 Tablespoon New Mexico chili powder
1 Tablespoon ancho chili powder
1 Tablespoon California chili powder
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano, crushed
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon dried cilantro
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 can El Paso mild green chiles
3 jalapeño chiles, seeded and finely chopped
1 habanero chile, seeded and finely chopped
1 large garlic clove
2 15 ounce cans stewed tomatoes, pureed in a blender
1 12 ounce can beer
1 teaspoon beef base
3 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 shot Jim Beam bourbon whiskey
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3 Tablespoons masa harina
1. Cook bacon and reserve grease for sauteing onions and garlic.
2. In a large chili pot, sauté onion and garlic. Remove onions and garlic and set aside.
3. Add olive oil and cook meat until gray in color, but not browned.
4. Add onion and garlic back to chili pot, and add dry spices. Cook while stirring for 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Add stewed tomatoes, bacon bits, chiles, beer, celery, whiskey, beef base.
6. Bring to a boil, and then simmer about 3 to 4 hours until done, adding masa harina 5-7 minutes before complete.