World Champion Chili
2 ½ pounds sirloin cut into ⅜ inch cubes
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
5 cloves garlic crushed into paste
1 ½ teaspoons seasoned salt
½ 8 ounce can Hunt's tomato sauce
½ 10 ½ ounce can beef broth
1 10 ½ ounce can chicken broth
8 Tablespoons Gebhardt's chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons hot New Mexico chili powder, depending on heat desired
2 boiling onions, chopped
½ cup chopped yellow onions
⅛ teaspoon coriander powder
½ Tablespoon MSG * see note below as to why using this tiny amount makes a difference
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1. Brown meat 1 pound at a time in oil.
2. Drain and put in chili pot with chopped onions, beef broth, chicken broth, chili powder, oregano, cumin and chopped boiling onions.
3. Mix well and simmer for 2 hours then add crushed garlic, seasoned salt, tomato sauce, New Mexico chili powder, coriander and MSG.
4. Cook 20 minutes then add Tabasco sauce and use beef broth to thin. Salt to taste.
* Below is just one example of what we have found regarding the use of msg, but we felt that Sam put it best when he said:
Voted the Best Answer!
Our article on MSG:
Sam is a trusted home cook.
added about 1 year ago
Do you have a rational reason for not using MSG? It's a naturally occurring chemical (Like sodium chloride)
And formal studies have found no link to the ‘Chinese restaurant syndrome' people complain about.
In fact your own body produces about 40 grams of MSG a day—about the 1/2 the size of a Accent container. http://www.lakeconews.com…
But if you're just worried about MSG. You can soak some dried mushrooms with some seaweed and use that for liquid…but I hate to break it too you; if you do that. You've just extracted MSG.