At home with the kids? Instantly access any of these printable activity bundles to keep them learning!
California Gold Rush Chili
1 Tablespoon Wesson oil
3 pounds beef, cut into ¼ inch cubes
1 ½ cups white onion, finely minced
8 garlic cloves, finely minced
¾ teaspoon garlic powder
2 15 ½ ounce cans chicken broth, with fat removed
4 ounce (½ 8 ounce can) Hunt’s tomato sauce
3 Tablespoons ground cumin
10 ½ Tablespoons Gebhardt chili powder, or 5 Tablespoons California Chile Powder (mild)
4 ½ Tablespoons New Mexico chile powder (medium)
1 Tablespoon New Mexico chile powder (hot)
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon meat tenderizer
½ teaspoon light brown sugar
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1. In a large pot simmer onion and minced garlic in 2 cups of chicken broth for 10 minutes.
2. Add Hunt’s tomato sauce and all dry spices, except the tenderizer and sugar. Mix well.
3. Brown the meat in Wesson oil using a separate pan and drain well. Sprinkle meat with tenderizer.
4. Add meat to the onion/spice mixture. Add remaining broth and simmer for 2 ½ hours.
5. Mix in brown sugar and Tabasco Brand Pepper Sauce just before serving.