The baby name Grover was extremely popular during the late 19th century, thanks to a certain president, and it stayed on the list of the top baby names for boys in the United States up until the mid-1970s. Today, it's on its way to making a comeback. Pair it with a cool middle name, like Levi, Wyatt, Chase, or even Wolf, to bring it into the 21st century.
Meaning of the name Grover:
English: Lives near a grove of trees
Origin of the name Grover:
Many centuries ago, people were often given names based on where they lived or what they did for an occupation. Grover is a perfect example of that, as it was used as a name for someone who lived near a grove of trees.
Symbolism of the name Grover:
For years, Grover was a name chosen to honor President Grover Cleveland, and many new parents found symbolism there. It could also be considered something of a nature name these days, based on its meaning. Some new parents may even choose it as a tribute to a show they probably watched growing up, “Sesame Street,” which featured a character named Grover.
Style of the name Grover:
Gender of the name Grover:
Grover is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Grover:
Number of syllables in the name Grover:
Emotion evoked from the name Grover:
The baby name Grover evokes images of someone who is energetic and adventurous.
Alternative spellings for the name Grover:
Nicknames for the name Grover:
Popularity of the name Grover:
According to the Social Security Administration, Grover was a top 1,000 baby name for boys in the United States up until 1974. It was most popular in 1918 when it ranked at number 188. It last ranked at number 949 in 1974.
Related names for the name Grover:
Great middle names for Grover and their meanings:
- Thomas (twin)
- Levi (united)
- Miles (soldier, merciful)
- Wyatt (brave at war)
- Luke (man from Lucania)
- Hayes (hedged area)
- Wolf (wolf)
- Rhett (advice)
- Chase (to hunt)
Famous people with the name Grover:
- Grover Cleveland (United States president)
- Grover Alexander (baseball player)
- Grover Washington (musician)
- Grover Simcox (illustrator and naturalist)
- Grover Jones (screenwriter)
- Grover Cleveland “Slim” Lowdermilk (baseball player)
Grovers in popular culture:
- Grover (character on the TV show “Sesame Street”0
- Grover(character from the book series “Percy Jackson and the Olympians”)
- Grover Muldoon (character in the movie “Silver Streak”)
- Grover (character on the TV show “Portlandia”)
- Grover Theo Horvath (character on the TV show “Girls”)