Hedwig is a vintage baby name that you don't hear too much anymore unless you're a fan of the “Harry Potter” novels and movies. However, it was super popular during the Middle Ages and is a name associated with many noblewomen, royal figures and even a Roman Catholic saint from the 13th century. Grandma names are in right now, and while Hedwig isn't as common as, say, Hazel or Evelyn, it still fits the trend.
Meaning of the name Hedwig:
Origin of the name Hedwig:
Hedwig is derived from the Germanic elements “hadu,” which means “battle” or “combat” and “wig,” which means “fight” or “duel.”
Symbolism of the name Hedwig:
Because of its meaning, new parents may see Hedwig as a symbol of bravery and strength. However, its association with a Roman Catholic saint and the owl in the Harry Potter series of books and movies could also have some meaning.
Style of the name Hedwig:
Gender of the name Hedwig:
Hedwig is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Hedwig:
Number of syllables in the name Hedwig:
Emotion evoked from the name Hedwig:
The baby name Hedwig evokes images of someone who is reliable and loyal.
Alternative spellings for the name Hedwig:
Nicknames for the name Hedwig:
Popularity of the name Hedwig:
The baby name Hedwig was a top 1,000 baby name until 1926, according to the Social Security Administration. It last ranked at number 832.
Related names for the name Hedwig:
Great middle names for Hedwig and their meanings:
- Eloise (healthy, wide)
- Iris (rainbow)
- Rose (flower)
- Aurora (dawn)
- Clementine (merciful)
- Charlotte (free man)
- Jane (God is gracious)
- Mae (pearl)
- Arabella (yielding to prayer)
- Grace (God's grace)
Famous people with the name Hedwig:
- Hedwig Bleibtreu (actress)
- Hedwig Kohn (physicist)
- Hedwig Eva Maria Kiesler (real name of actress Hedy Lamarr)
- HedwigTrapp (singer from the family that inspired “The Sound of Music”)
- Hedwig von Beverfoerde (German activist)
Hedwigs in popular culture:
- Hedwig (the name of the owl in the “Harry Potter” novels)
- Hedwig (character in the movie “Split”)
- Hedwigin the movie and musical “Hedwig and the Angry Inch”)
- Hedvig Ekda (character in the play “The Wild Duck”)
- Hedwig (character in the play “Wilhelm Tell”)