Kiel is a baby boy’s name of English and Dutch origin. In English, it comes from Ezekiel and means “God will strengthen.” In Dutch, it comes from Kiliaen and Kilianus and means “church.” Kiel was briefly popular in the 1980s but lacked the staying power of the longer version of the name.
Meaning and Origin of the name Kiel:
Kiel is a boy's name meaning “God will strengthen” or “church.”
Kiel is a baby boy’s name. In English, Kiel is a diminutive of the Hebrew name Ezekiel and means “God will strengthen.” In Dutch, Kiel is a diminutive of Kiliaen and Kilianus and derives from the Irish name Cillian (meaning “church”).
Symbolism of the name Kiel:
Kiel means “church” and refers specifically to the physical building rather than the institution. Churches have been the center of communities for centuries.
Nicknames for the name Kiel:
Because Kiel is a short name, there aren't many options for nicknames. If you are looking for a nickname, you do have a few options to choose from. Below is a list to give you some ideas to help you choose a nickname for your baby boy.
Style of the name Kiel:
Gender of the name Kiel:
Kiel is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Kiel:
Number of syllables in the name Kiel:
One or two, depending on pronunciation
Emotion evoked from the name Kiel:
Kiel evokes feelings of honor and piety.
Alternative spellings for the name Kiel:
Popularity of the name Kiel:
According to the Social Security Administration, Kiel is a popular baby boy’s name. Kiel was in the top 1000 baby names from 1982 to 1987. It peaked at #505 in 1983.
Related names for the name Kiel:
Great middle names for the name Kiel and their meanings:
- Archie (truly brave)
- Levi (joined, attached)
- Liam (resolute protection)
- Miles (soldier, merciful)
- River (the body of water)
- Mason (stoneworker)
- Silas (woods, forest)
- Noah (respose, rest)
Famous people with the name Kiel:
- Kiel James Patrick (American designer of brand KJP)
- Kiel Urban Mueller (American actor)
- Kiel Brown (Australian field hockey player)
- Kiel McClung (American soccer player)
- Kiel Martin (American actor)
Kiel in popular culture:
- Kiel Gnomenfoot (literature, “Story Thieves” James Riley)
- Kiel (location in Germany)
- Kiel (video games, “Rune Factory 4”)
- Kiel (video games, “Giant Bomb”)
- Kiel II (video games, “Star Citizen”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©SOMRERK WITTHAYANANT/Shutterstock.com.