Lemuel is a Hebrew baby boy’s name that means “devoted to God”. Lemuel is a Biblical king mentioned in Proverbs 31:1 and 4. The name is a vintage classic that was popular from 1900 to 1976.
Meaning of the name Lemuel:
Hebrew: devoted to God
Origin of the name Lemuel:
Lemuel is a baby boy’s name of Hebrew origin that means “devoted to God”. Lemuel is a name from the Hebrew Bible.
Symbolism of the name Lemuel:
Lemuel is a king mentioned briefly in the Hebrew Bible in the Book of Proverbs. Lemuel is also the first name of the titular character of Jonathan Swift’s “Gulliver’s Travels”.
Style of the name Lemuel:
Gender of the name Lemuel:
Lemuel is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Lemuel:
Number of syllables in the name Lemuel:
Emotion evoked from the name Lemuel:
Lemuel evokes feelings of success and hard work.
Alternative spellings for the name Lemuel:
Nicknames for the name Lemuel:
Popularity of the name Lemuel:
According to the Social Security Administration, Lemuel is a popular baby boy’s name. Lemuel was in the top 1000 baby name list from 1900 to 1976. It peaked at #348 in 1906.
Related names for the name Lemuel:
Great middle names for the name Lemuel and their meanings:
- Remus (meaning unknown)
- Magnus (greatest)
- Otto (wealthy)
- Rufus (red-head)
- Hugo (mind, intellect)
- Orson (bear cub)
- Milo (soldier, merciful)
- Archer (bowman)
- Dashiell (of de Chiel)
- Cormac (charioteer)
Famous people with the name Lemuel:
- Lemuel Haynes (American Congregationalist minister)
- Lemuel Francis Abbott (English painter)
- Lemuel Mathewson (U.S. Army lieutenant general)
- Lemuel Pratt Grant (American railroad tycoon)
- Lemuel Everett Wilmarth (American painter)
Lemuel in popular culture:
- Lemuel Gulliver (literature, “Gulliver's Travels” by Jonathan Swift)
- Lemuel (television, “The Man in the High Castle”)
- Lemuel Wiley (literature, “Spoon River Anthology” by Edgar Lee Masters)
- Lemuel Bridger (television, “Midnight, Texas”)
- Lemuel “Lemmy” Barnet (radio serial, “Journey into Space”)