Lula is a sweet and spirited baby name. Cherished as a classic name for girls, Lula is also a nickname for boys in South American culture. Straightforward in style, Lula is the namesake of iconic characters in literature and film. Lula Mae Barnes was the birth name of Holly Golightly in the Breakfast at Tiffany's franchise, and Lula Landry is also a character in The Cuckoo's Calling by J.K. Rowling. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Lula:
Germanic: Famous in battle
Origin of the name Lula:
Lula originated as a short form of the name Luise. This name derived from the Germanic name Ludwig (meaning “famous in battle”). The name combined the Germanic elements hlud (meaning “famous”) and wig (meaning “battle” or “warfare”). Although often perceived as a feminine name, Lula is also the masculine diminutive of the name Luiz (or Luis) in Brazilian Portuguese.
Symbolism of the name Lula:
Lula is a diminutive of the name Luise (meaning “famous in battle”). In Old Germanic culture, the symbol of the battle-ready warrior was the sword.
Style of the name Lula:
Gender of the name Lula:
Lula is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Lula:
Number of syllables in the name Lula:
Emotion evoked from the name Lula:
The name Lula evokes feelings of luminescence and luxury.
Alternative spellings for the name Lula:
Nicknames for the name Lula:
Popularity of the name Lula:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Lula was the 1,716th most popular name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Lula:
Great middle names for Lula and their meanings:
- April (opening, fourth month)
- Brielle (strength)
- Cosette (victorious, triumphant, little thing)
- Dominique (of the Lord)
- Gentry (well-born)
- Harmonie (perfect unity, accord)
- Jewel (precious stone)
- Juniper (evergreen shrub)
- Marni (from the sea, warlike)
- Signy (new victory
- Tiffany (revelation, appearance, manifestation)
- Zinnia (aster flower)
Famous people with the name Lula:
- Lula Cotton Frapier (actress)
- Lula Rose Gardner (daughter of actress Liv Tyler)
- Lula Rosylea Grimaldi (daughter of singer Bryan Adams))
- Lula Mae Hardaway (songwriter and mother of Stevie Wonder)
- Lula Ali Ismaïl (film director)
- Lula Grace Johnson (singer)
- Lula Greene Richards (poet)
- Lula Barbosa da Silva (volleyball player)
- Lula Carson Smith (writer)
- Lula Ethridge Wardlow (businesswoman)
Lula in popular culture:
- Lula Mae Barnes (birth name of Holly Golightly in the Breakfast at Tiffany's franchise)
- Lula Landry (character in The Cuckoo's Calling by J.K. Rowling)
- Lula Elena Chapa De Silva (character in the Heroes series)