Marcellus is one of the most preeminent classic baby names for boys. Famous since antiquity, this name has undergone a revival in the 21st century. Marcellus is also the name of one of the first characters to appear in William Shakespeare's Hamlet, and Marcellus Wallace is a character in the Pulp Fiction franchise. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Marcellus:
Latin: Young warrior, devoted to Mars, male
Origin of the name Marcellus:
Marcellus is a classic name that originated as a diminutive of Marcus. This name derived from the Latin or Etruscan word mārs (meaning “male” or “young warrior”).
Symbolism of the name Marcellus:
Marcellus is a given name that later became a prominent Roman family name. As a powerful clan during the founding years of the Roman Republic, this family amassed wealth and later produced senators and consuls. The symbol of this family was the Theater of Marcellus. Its ancient edifice remains one of the top tourist attractions in Rome today.
Style of the name Marcellus:
Gender of the name Marcellus:
Marcellus is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Marcellus:
Number of syllables in the name Marcellus:
Emotion evoked from the name Marcellus:
The name Marcellus evokes feelings of magnitude and marvel.
Alternative spellings for the name Marcellus:
Nicknames for the name Marcellus:
Popularity of the name Marcellus:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Marcellus was the 741st most popular baby name for boys in 2020. Marcellus was the 934th most popular baby name for boys in 2019.
Related names for the name Marcellus:
Great middle names for Marcellus and their meanings:
- Anouar (bright, radiant, luminous)
- Benedict (blessed)
- Callum (dove)
- Denver (green valley)
- Everett (brave, strong, wild boar)
- Franklin (free man, landowner)
- Jake (God is gracious)
- Nero (strong, vigorous)
- Russell (little red one)
- Soren (severe, strict, serious)
- Trevor (big village)
- Vincent (victor, conqueror, winner)
Famous people with the name Marcellus:
- Marcus Claudius Marcellus Aeserninus (Roman patrician)
- Marcellus Flemming Berry (inventor)
- Marcellus Jerome Clarke (Civil War soldier)
- Marcellus Hartley Dodge (businessman)
- Marcellus Gilmore Edson (inventor)
- Marcellus Deming “Mark” Nave (football coach)
- Marcellus de Niveriis (priest)
- Marcellus Lovejoy Stearns (politician)
- Marcellus Augustus Stovall (Civil War soldier)
- Marcellus Vernon Wiley Sr. (football player)
Marcellus in popular culture:
- Marcellus (character in Hamlet by William Shakespeare)
- Marcellus Gallio (character in The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas)
- Marcellus Wallace (character in the Pulp Fiction franchise)