Trevor is a sharp and sophisticated baby boy name. Although traditionally found within Welsh and Irish aristocracy, the name Trevor reached new heights of popularity in the late 20th century. Trevor Joseph Brennan is the main character in the Countermeasure suspense series, Trevor Fitzroy is a popular character in the Marvel Comics universe, and Trevor Philips is one of three main protagonists in the video game “Grand Theft Auto V” by Rockstar Games. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Trevor:
Trevor derives from the Old Welsh words tref (meaning “village”) and mawr (meaning “large”). In Welsh, the name Trevor means “big village”. It began as a place name with transferred use as a surname (and then as a given name). The location-based element mawr is a descriptive term demonstrated in other Welsh place names. For example, the name of the college Bryn Mawr means “large hill”.
In the Irish language, Trevor is a shortened and anglicized version of the Gaelic name Treabhar. This name meant “industrious,” “prudent,” or “ambitious”.
Symbolism of the Name Trevor:
Trevor originates from an Old Welsh term that means “large village”. It is a habitational name that referred to a settlement or homestead. Welsh symbols for the homestead include the leek and the daffodil.
Nicknames for the Name Trevor:
Trevor is a cool name to give to a boy! Every name needs a nickname. There are plenty of nicknames that are derived from Trevor, including:
Style of the Name Trevor:
Gender of the Name Trevor:
Trevor is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the Name Trevor:
Number of Syllables in the Name Trevor:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Trevor:
The name Trevor evokes feelings of security and strength.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Trevor:
Popularity of the Name Trevor:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Trevor was the 537th most popular baby name for boys in 2022.
Related Names for the Name Trevor:
Great Middle Names for Trevor and Their Meanings:
- Alvin (noble friend, old friend)
- Bradley (broad cleaning)
- Dean (valley, chieftain)
- Fitzgerald (spear ruler)
- Gareth (gentle)
- Howie (high guardian, brave heart)
- Kyle (narrow, strait, channel)
- Lance (land, combat weapon)
- Nathan (gift of God)
- Rylan (island meadow, rye meadow)
Famous People with the Name Trevor:
- Trevor Anthony Ariza (basketball player)
- Trevor Harley Bayliss (cricket coach)
- Trevor Edwin Chinn (philanthropist)
- Trevor Jeo Engelson (film producer)
- Trevor John Francis (footballer)
- Trevor William Hoffman (baseball player)
- Trevor George Lucas (spoken word artist)
- Trevor Ricardo Nelson (disc jockey)
- Trevor David Pinnock (harpsichordist)
- Trevor Christopher Wright (actor)
Trevor in Popular Culture:
- Trevor (Neville Longbottom's pet toad in the Harry Potter series)
- Trevor Joseph Brennan (main character in the Countermeasure romantic suspense series)
- Trevor Fitzroy (Marvel Comics supervillain)
- Trevor McKinney (main character in the Pay It Forward novel and movie)
- Trevor Morgan in the British soap opera EastEnders
- Trevor Philips (protagonist in the Grand Theft Auto V video game by Rockstar Games)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Tatyana Vyc/Shutterstock.com.