Tory is a sweet baby name with a unisex sound and feel. Tory is one of many names that started out as a nickname. Keep reading if you want to learn more about the name.
Meaning of the name Tory:
Latin for “victory; victor, conqueror”.
Origin of the name Tory:
Tory initially began as a nickname for names like “Victor” and “Victoria”, giving the name Latin origins. The name “Victor” commonly found usage among early Christians seeing as it is the name of many saints, while “Victoria” stems from the Roman goddess of victory. From there, Tory and it’s various spellings became a natural shortened use of the names that eventually fell into use as a given name.
Symbolism of the name Tory:
From the meaning, Tory can symbolize one who is accomplished and victorious. This works well for parents who seek to have a baby who will one day conquer anything they set their mind to.
Style of the name Tory:
Gender of the name Tory:
The name Tory is used for both baby boys and girls.
Pronunciation of the name Tory:
Number of syllables in the name Tory:
Emotion evoked from the name Tory:
Tory is a nice baby name that evokes a far less formal feel than the names it comes from. Instead, Tory feels more like a fun and lighthearted baby name.
Alternative spellings for the name Tory:
Nicknames for the name Tory:
Popularity of the name Tory:
Based on information from the Social Security Index, Tory has made it into the top 1000 list of popular baby names for both boys and girls. With girls, Tory only made it on two occasions, reaching as high as #834 in 1977. On the boy side, Tory made it on the list for several years with its highest ranking being #480 also in 1977.
Related names for the name Tory:
Great middle names for Tory and their meanings:
- Marie (drop of the sea, bitter, or beloved)
- Iris (rainbow)
- Isabella (pledged to God)
- Clara (bright, clear)
- Luna (moon)
- Eloise (healthy; wide)
- Emmeline (work)
- Sophia (wisdom)
- Ian (the Lord is gracious)
- Atticus (from Attica)
- Sagan (wise and knowing)
- Cullen (holly tree)
- Anders (strong and manly)
- Rowan (rowan tree; little redhead)
- Jude (praised)
- Jonathan (gift of Jehovah)
Famous people with the name Tory:
- Tory Burch (American fashion designer)
- Tory Tunnell (American producer)
- Tory Fretz (American tennis player)
- Tory Mussett (Australian actress)
- Tory Shepherd (Australian writer)
- Tory Kittles (American actor)
- Tory Cassis (Canadian singer)
- Tory Bellici (American TV personality)
- Tory Carter (American football player)
- Tory Verdi (American basketball coach)
Torys in movies/pop culture:
- Tory(character created for a TV sketch by comedian Harry Enfield)
- VictoriaBrennan (a character in the series “Virals” by Kathy Reichs)