Torrey is a strong and straightforward baby name suitable for both boys and girls. Deeply rooted in Scottish history, the name Torrey also fits seamlessly into popular culture throughout the world. Torrey is the name of a character in Star Trek: Voyager, and Torrey Takadera is a popular character on Yu-Gi-Oh!. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Torrey:
Gaelic: Hillock, mound, lord
Old Norse: Thor's ruler
Origin of the name Torrey:
Torrey is a European baby name with several possible meanings. In Scotland and Ireland, Torrey is a diminutive of Torrence. This name originated from the Gaelic word torran (meaning “hill,” “mound,” or “lord”). Torrey is also a variation of the Nordic name Torry. This name originates from the Old Norse element Þórr and means “Thor's ruler.” In addition, some cultures use Torrey as an expanded variation of Tori. This name is a diminutive of Victoria (meaning “victory”) as well as Salvatore (meaning “savior”).
Symbolism of the name Torrey:
Torrey is an international name with several meanings. Most commonly, Torrey is a diminutive of Torrence (meaning “hillock” or “mound”). One of the oldest villages named Torrence is in East Dunbartonshire, Scotland. The village originated in the Middle Ages as a textile production center. As a result, the symbol of Torrence is the weaver's loom.
Style of the name Torrey:
Gender of the name Torrey:
Torrey is a beautiful name for both boys and girls.
Pronunciation of the name Torrey:
Number of syllables in the name Torrey:
Emotion evoked from the name Torrey:
The name Torrey evokes feelings of prosperity and pride.
Alternative spellings for the name Torrey:
Nicknames for the name Torrey:
Popularity of the name Torrey:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Torrey was the 989th most popular baby name for boys in 1993.
Related names for the name Torrey:
Great middle names for Torrey and their meanings:
- Auburn (reddish brown)
- Ayden (little fire)
- Casimir (great conqueror, peacemaker)
- Eloan (light)
- Joel (the Lord is God)
- Mason (stone worker)
- Milan (gracious, dear)
- Lissandre (defender of men)
- Prince (royal son)
- Sylvester (woodland, forest)
- Yves (yew, archer, bowman)
- Zeke (God will strengthen)
- Zion (holy place, highest point, citadel)
Famous people with the name Torrey:
- Torrey Lawrence Adams (digital artist)
- Torrey Ann Cook (actress)
- Torrey Craig (basketball player)
- Torrey Joël DeVitto (actress)
- Torrey Maynard Johnson (evangelist)
- Torrey Charles Mitchell (ice hockey player)
- Torrey Josef Mosvold (entrepreneur)
- Torrey Peters (writer)
- Torrey Smith (football player)
- Torrey Eglesby Wales (politician)
Torrey in popular culture:
- Torrey (character in Star Trek: Voyager)
- Torrey Takadera (character on Yu-Gi-Oh!)