Most people are attracted to individuals demonstrating a gentle and kind nature. Numerous cultures and languages have adopted names celebrating such attributes. If you'd like to honor these qualities through your child, check out this list of baby names that mean gentle and find the right name for your little one.
- Adiv Adiv is a name bestowed upon newborn boys and girls. In Hebrew, the moniker recognizes delicateness.
- Mayu This gender-neutral name holds Japanese origins. In this Asian tongue, Mayu means gentleness. Language historians maintain that the name also honors excellence.
- Kellman The name Kellman first gained notoriety in Hungary. When translated from Hungarian, the honorific awarded to males and females celebrates gentle persons.
- Damario Damario is a unisex offering. In Greek, the name salutes gentleness.
- Nariko Moms and Dads of Japanese extraction or those fond of said nation’s language and culture might designate a newborn baby Nariko. In English, the moniker means gentle child.
- KevinKevin is a name given to newborn boys. In the Celtic language, it represents gentleness. In addition, the name enjoys other acceptable spellings.
- Maru Persons from Polynesia may opt to name a newborn daughter Maru. When interpreted into English, the offering recognizes gentleness.
- Tuan Tuan is a Vietnamese name awarded to boys. In said tongue, the moniker honors gentlemen.
- Ines The name Ines’s roots sprouted in the Hispanic culture. In Spanish, Ines means gentle. Moreover, the name can be spelled using different letter combinations and has been embraced throughout the world.
- Kliment Russian parents might bestow the name Kliment on an infant son. Language experts maintain that the name celebrates gentleness and kindness.
- MeganMegan is a prominent feminine name. It possesses English, Celtic, and Gaelic origins and means gentle and soft. One famous current bearer is actress Megan Fox.
- Sadat Historians suggest that the Muslim faith begat the male name Sadat. It means gentleman. That said, language professionals also argue that the moniker salutes masters. Furthermore, the offering is a surname held most notably by assassinated Egyptian President Anwar Sadat.
- Wan Daughters born to Chinese mothers and fathers might receive the name Wan. In various Chinese dialects, the name recognizes gentle subjects. However, language experts also argue that the name recognizes graciousness.
- Daman This name boasts Greek heritage. When translated from that language, Daman translates into the expression gentle to tame. The offering is also a variant of Damian.
- HelenThis classic and respected name is bestowed upon females. In Greek, the honorific celebrates gentleness. However, it also means elegant, cultured, and light. One of its more honored current holders is Academy Award-winning actress Helen Mirren.
- GarethThis name was born in Wales. In Welsh, Gareth salutes gentle souls. In addition, the name can be spelled other ways. A celebrated possessor is Welsh-born soccer star Gareth Bale.
- Anana Anana is a girl’s name. In Swahili, it honors those who are soft and gentle.
- Clarence This old-fashioned boy’s name holds Latin origins. In said tongue, Clarence means gentle. That said, language professionals claim that the name also salutes brightness. A famous holder is the late saxophonist Clarence Clemons.
- Shu Chinese mothers and fathers might choose to denominate an infant girl Shu. The name recognizes gentleness and kindness.
- JonahThis Hebrew moniker is given to boys. In English, Jonah honors those displaying gentleness and forgiveness.
- Malinda Malinda is a feminine name handed down to girls. In Greek, the offering recognizes gentle persons. Additionally, the name can be spelled using different letter combinations.
- Ninad The roots of this masculine name were planted in India. In various Indian dialects, Ninad salutes subjects possessing gentle souls.
- MirandaThe universally popular female moniker Miranda possesses Latin ancestry. In English, it means gentle. That said, some argue that the moniker also translates into the phrase person to be admired. A celebrated holder is Academy Award-nominated actress Miranda Richardson.
- Aghor This male-intended name owes its existence to the Hindu faith. Language experts maintain that Aghor symbolizes those bearing gentle natures.
- Clarice Clarice is a female name. In its native English, the name represents gentleness. However, bright, shining, clear, and famous are also acceptable definitions. Many remember that the offering is the first name of the character portrayed by Jodie Foster in the critically acclaimed film The Silence of the Lambs.
Keep This in Mind When Naming a Baby
When naming a baby, it's important that you remember that your child will be the one to live with their name, not you. It's important to pick a name that you and your partner love, but remember that picking a name your child can live with is equally as important.
If you pick a name that's highly unusual, it may encourage bullying from your child's peers. In an ideal world, everyone would accept one another regardless of the unusualness of their name. In reality, though, that isn't the case. Further on in life, your child could face discrimination from colleges or employers due to their name. While laws prohibit employers or colleges from rejecting a person on the basis of their name, that only prohibits that from being the explicit reason. If an employer or college is biased against a person for their name, they can always find another reason to reject them.
A name that has a difficult spelling may give your child trouble in school. This may impact their grades as they get older, since teachers will eventually start docking points on assignments if a child's name is spelled wrong. Plus, odd spellings of names can cause constant mispronunciations that your child has to correct.
Finding a balance between picking a name that you like and a name that your child can live with is very important. Take your time when picking out your baby's name, and you'll do just fine!
Peruse thousands of baby names on MomsWhoThink.com! And follow us on Pinterest for more parenting inspiration!
The image featured at the top of this post is ©iStock.com/Gareth Webb.