Since the movie bearing the same title came out in 1991, this fried green tomatoes recipe has become increasingly popular. This favorite Southern food has been discovered in other parts of the nation. Some people use dredge in beaten eggs first, then coat in cracker crumbs, breadcrumbs, or as in this case, flour. Whatever coating you choose, the tomatoes need to be fried for that crispy outside, meaty inside effect.
For the full Fried Green Tomatoes experience, fry up a batch or two and call some girlfriends for a chick flick night. The movie is great, the food is greasy and incredibly tasty, and with that combination, you’ll have a night you’ll remember.
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 2 1/2 lbs green tomatoes, sliced
- 3/4 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
1. Combine salt, pepper, and flour in a flat pan. Coat tomatoes well.
2. Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
3. Add tomatoes in one layer, and fry for about 5 minutes on each side.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
The crunchiness of the coating on these delicious tomatoes makes it all worthwhile. And if you want to be somewhat healthier, try cooking this recipe in the air fryer. You'll still get that same crunch but with fewer calories. Looking for more tasty recipes? Try our crispy Onion Rings or amazing Pigs In a Blanket.