Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 large cooking apples – peeled, cored and cut into 1/4 inch rings
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
¼ cup butter
¼ cup chopped pecans
1. Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook 25 minutes, or until tender but firm. Drain, cool and cut into ¼ inch slices.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease a 7×11 inch baking dish.
3. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. Layer sweet potatoes, brown sugar mixture and apples in the prepared baking dish.
5. In a medium bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, butter and pecans. Sprinkle over the sweet potatoes.
6. Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.