Easter Bunny Cake
This Easter, make a dessert the kids will have just as much fun making as they will eating.
2 1/2 cups coconut, divided
green food coloring
2 baked 9-inch round cake layers, cooled
3-4 cups buttercream or vanilla frosting
assorted jelly beans and/or other candies for decorating
1. Tint 1/4 cup of the coconut green using green food coloring.
2. Leave one layer whole (A in the diagram), this will be the bunny's head/face
3. Cut 1 cake layer as a half circle shape on each side of the cake (for the ears - B in the middle of the diagram at the left) leaving a bow tie shape in the center of the cake. The bow tie shape should be about 1 1/2" wide at the widest part (C in the diagram at left).
4. Place the whole cake layer (A) in center of cake platter (we used a sturdy piece of cardboard covered in heavy foil).
5. Place the half circle shapes (pieces B) on the top pointing up for the bunny's ears.
6. Place the remaining piece (piece C) at the bottom of the whole cake layer to make a bow tie. Your assembled cake should look like the right third of the diagram on the left.
7. Frost all pieces with buttercream or vanilla frosting.
8. Decorate center of bunny's ears and outline of bowtie with candies. Sprinkle coconut generously over bunny's head and outer edge of ears and bowtie.
9. Decorate with candies for eyes, nose, mouth and whiskers.