When it comes to popularity, the baby name Alec has been up and down the list of the top names for boys in the United States. It almost broke into the top 100 during the 1990s, but it didn't quite make it. Today, it falls somewhere in the middle — not so popular that your little boy will have four other Alecs in his kindergarten class, but not so far out that it sounds dated or weird. While many people associate the name with a modern actor, its roots date back to the greatest general of all time.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Alec:
Alec is an English and Scottish nickname for Alexander, which has Greek and Latin roots. It's all derived from the Greek words “alexein,” which means “defend,” and “andros,” which means “man”. As such, Alec is interpreted to mean “defender of men”.
Symbolism of the Name Alec:
The name Alexander, which Alec is derived from, is synonymous with warriors and protection. For many parents, the baby name may symbolize strength and bravery.
Nicknames for the Name Alec:
Alec doesn't have an extensive list of nicknames that pair well with it, but fortunately for prospective parents there are a few options. Here are our picks for great Alec nicknames:
Style of the Name Alec:
Gender of the Name Alec:
Alec is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the Name Alec:
Number of Syllables in the Name Alec:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Alec:
The name Alec evokes images of someone who is charming and entertaining.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Alec:
Popularity of the Name Alec:
Alec was a top 1,000 baby name in the United States through the 1920s. It fell out of favor for a bit, but jumped back onto the list in the late 1940s. As of 2022, it ranks at number 739, according to the Social Security Administration.
Related Names for the Name Alec:
Great Middle Names for Alec and Their Meanings:
- Jameson (son of James)
- Arthur (bear)
- Jude (praised)
- Samuel (told by God or God has heard)
- Henry (ruler of the house)
- Augustus (the greatest)
- Oliver (olive tree)
- Edward (wealthy guardian)
- Owen (young warrior)
Famous People with the Name Alec:
- Alec Baldwin (actor)
- Alec Berg (writer)
- Alec Mills (baseball player)
- Alec Newman (actor)
- Alec Martinez (hockey player)
- Alec John Such (musician)
Alecs in Popular Culture:
- Alec the Great (newspaper comic strip)
- Alec Ramsay (character in the book and movie “The Black Stallion”)
- Alec(character in the film “Journey to the Center of the Earth”)
- Alec Gilroy (character in the soap opera “Coronation Street”)
- Alec (character in the “Twilight” books and movies)
- Alec D'Urberville (character in the book “Tess of the d'Urbervilles”)
- Alec Trevelyan (character in the film “GoldenEye”)
- Alec Lightwood (character on the TV show “Shadowhunters”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Africa Studio/Shutterstock.com.