Amethyst is a unique baby name for girls. Renowned as a gemstone since antiquity, the name went on to become a sterling choice throughout the 20th century. Amethyst Hornblower is the name of a character in The Hobbit series, and Amethyst Amy Winston is also a heroine in the DC Comics universe. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Amethyst:
Greek: Purple jewel, precious gemstone, intoxication cure
Origin of the name Amethyst:
Amethyst originated during the classical era. It is a combination of the Greek negative prefix ἀ (meaning “not”) and the root μέθυστος or methystos (meaning “intoxicated” or drunk”). The implication was that the purple gemstone was a cure for intoxication or drunkenness. Amethyst is also the traditional birthstone for the month of February.
Symbolism of the name Amethyst:
Amethyst originates from the Greek word αμέθυστος (amethystos). This word means “not drunk,” and it referred a belief that the amethyst could prevent intoxication. Ancient Greeks wore amethyst amulets and carved drinking goblets from amethyst quartz. The symbol of amethyst is the violet gemstone.
Style of the name Amethyst:
Gender of the name Amethyst:
Amethyst is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Amethyst:
Number of syllables in the name Amethyst:
Emotion evoked from the name Amethyst:
The name Amethyst evokes feelings of protection and positivity.
Alternative spellings for the name Amethyst:
Nicknames for the name Amethyst:
Popularity of the name Amethyst:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Amethyst was the 1,147th most popular baby name for girls in 2021.
Related names for the name Amethyst:
Great middle names for Amethyst and their meanings:
- Adele (noble, nobility, princess)
- Bronte (thunder, she who bestows)
- Chloe (young green shoot, springtime, bloom)
- Iole (violet, aurora, dawn)
- Jenna (fair goddess, white enchantress, blessed spirit)
- Melva (gentle chieftain, council protector, strong friend)
- Nechama (consolation, comfort)
- Olympe (woman from Mount Olympus)
- Sophia (wisdom)
- Taylor (tailor, cutter of cloth)
Famous people with the name Amethyst:
- Amethyst Davis (actress)
- Amethyst Rose Holman (film producer)
- Amethyst Joyce (actress)
- Amethyst Amelia Kelly (birth name of singer Iggy Azalea)
- Amethyst Rose Parker (fashion designer)
- Amethyst Smith (actress)
Amethyst in popular culture:
- Amethyst Hornblower (character in The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien)
- Amethyst Van Der Troll (character in the Trollz series)
- Amethyst Amy Winston (heroine in the DC Comics universe)