Antony is a variation of the name Anthony that sounds more international. When you hear this option, you may first think of Mark Antony, however. His surname was originally called Antonius, which formed the name, Anthony.
Meaning of the name Antony:
Latin: priceless one, highly praiseworthy
Origin of the name Antony:
Antony originated as a variation of the name Anthony used in English-speaking countries. Anthony came from the Roman surname Antonius, seen with Mark Antonius. In English-speaking countries, he is more commonly known as Mark Antony, who was an emperor in the first century B.C.
Symbolism of the name Antony:
Antony means “priceless one” or “highly praiseworthy” as it has the same meaning as the baby name Anthony. Anthony, however, also means the same as Antonius.
Style of the name Antony:
Gender of the name Antony:
Antony is a powerful name for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Antony:
Number of syllables in the name Antony:
Emotion evoked from the name Antony:
Antony is a strong baby name with a sense of maturity. It is refined and classical.
Alternative spellings for the name Antony:
Nicknames for the name Antony:
Popularity of the name Antony:
Antony was first a top 1,000 baby name in America in 1953 at rank 975. It remained on and off the Social Security Popularity Index until 2010 when it was number 956. Antony did best as a top 700 option from 1967 to 1971, ranking highest in 1970 at rank 611.
Related names for the name Antony:
Great middle names for Antony and their meanings:
- Douglas (dark stream, black stream)
- Wayne (wagon driver, wagon builder)
- Felix (happy, lucky, fortunate)
- Milo (soldier, merciful, beloved)
- August (esteemed, to increase, venerable)
- Xavier (new house, splendid, bright)
- Victor (conqueror, victor)
- Sean (God is gracious)
Famous people with the name Antony:
- Antony Blackburn (DJ from England)
- Antony Hewish (astronomer)
- Antony Armstrong (photographer)
- Antony (Orthodox Christian bishop from Russia)
- Antony Micallef (painter)
- Antony Cheng (figure skater)
- Antony Hamalainen (composer)
- Antony Starr (actor, “The Boys”)
Antonys in popular culture:
- Antony (character from “Antony and Cleopatra”)