Aziel is a popular biblical baby name for boys. Rooted in Old Hebrew mysticism, this name has undergone a remarkable revival in the 21st century. Aziel is the name of a character in the Stargate franchise, and Lord Aziel was a character in the Galactic Empire of the Star Wars series. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Aziel:
Hebrew: God is my strength
Aziel originates from the Old Hebrew phrase עזיאל (Azi'el) and means “God is my strength”. The name certainly has strong Biblical associations. Some origin stories associate the name Aziel with evil origins, while others connect the name with themes of forgiveness. Some say that Aziel is a derivative of Azazel, a demon in the Bible.
Symbolism of the Name Aziel:
Aziel is a Hebrew name that means “God is my strength.” According to the Old Testament, the Biblical Aziel was a member of the tribe of Levi who assisted with the choral service during the dedication of the Tabernacle (1 Chronicles 15:20). The symbol of Aziel was the lyre. Some also connect Aziel to the Biblical demon Azazel.
Nicknames for the Name Aziel:
Aziel is a tough name to give nicknames to! Fortunately, there are some good options. Many of these nicknames are shortened forms of this name. Common nicknames for Aziel are Azzy and Zelle, but there are other options.
Style of the Name Aziel:
Gender of the Name Aziel:
Aziel is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the Name Aziel:
Number of Syllables in the Name Aziel:
Emotion Evoked from the Name Aziel:
The name Aziel evokes feelings of magnificence and mastery.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Aziel:
Popularity of the Name Aziel:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Aziel was the 495th most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related Names for the Name Aziel:
Great Middle Names for Aziel and Their Meanings:
- Ahmad (commendable, illustrious, praiseworthy)
- Beckett (stream, brook, beak)
- Ben (son of my right hand)
- Chaim (life)
- Denver (green valley)
- Franklin (freeman)
- Garett (spear ruler, brave spear)
- Gilbert (bright pledge)
- Jordi (farmer)
- Ilyas (the Lord is my God)
- Philip (friend of horses)
- Rayan (watered, luxuriant)
- Saul (asked for, prayed for, requested)
- Zeke (God will strengthen)
Famous People with the Name Aziel:
- Aziel Jackson (soccer player)
- Aziel Medina (TikTok personality)
- Aziel Ibar Melara (cinematographer)
- Aziel Rivers (television producer)
- Aziel Stevenson (television personality)
- Aziel Tan (actor)
- Aziel Wesley (disc jockey)
Aziel in Popular Culture:
- Aziel (character in the Stargate franchise)
- Aziel and Luca (infant clothing brand based in Arizona)
- Lord Aziel (Falleen male in the Galactic Empire of the Star Wars series)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©iStock.com/LindaYolanda.