Dollie is a baby girl’s name of English origin that means “gift of God” or “sorrows”. Dollie is a diminutive of Dorothy and Dolores. It is a cute name that was popular in the first half of the 20th century.
Meaning of the name Dollie:
English: gift of God, sorrows
Origin of the name Dollie:
Dollie is an English baby girl’s name that is a diminutive of Dorothy or Dolores. Dorothy means “gift of God” and comes from the Greek name Dorothea. Dolores means “sorrows” and comes from the Spanish title for the Virgin Mary, María de los Dolores, meaning “Mary of Sorrows”.
Symbolism of the name Dollie:
Dollie, also spelled dolly, is a term used for a child’s toy that is also called a baby doll or a doll baby.
Style of the name Dollie:
Gender of the name Dollie:
Dollie is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Dollie:
Number of syllables in the name Dollie:
Emotion evoked from the name Dollie:
Dollie evokes feelings of kindness and charm.
Alternative spellings for the name Dollie:
Dolly, Dolie, Doly, Dallie
Nicknames for the name Dollie:
Popularity of the name Dollie:
According to the Social Security Administration, Dollie is a common baby girl’s name. Dollie was in the top 1000 baby names list from 1900 to 1958. It peaked in 1903 at #218.
Related names for the name Dollie:
Great middle names for the name Dollie and their meanings:
- Eleanor (other Aenor)
- Reverie (deep thought, consideration)
- Amelia (work)
- Bella (loved, beautiful)
- Bellamy (fine friend)
- Rebecca (to tie, bind)
- Parton (pear orchard)
- Jane (God is gracious)
Famous people with the name Dollie:
- Dollie Radford (English poet, pen name of Caroline Maitland)
- Dollie Radler Hall (American geologist)
- Clarice “Dollie” McLean (American dancer and choreographer)
Dollie in popular culture:
- Dahlia “Dollie” Hawthorne (video games, “Ace Attorney” series)
- Dollie de Luxe (Norwegian pop group)
- Dollie (film, “The Adventures of Dollie”)
- Dollie Clothes (fashion, women’s fashion brand)
- Dollie & Me (fashion, children’s fashion brand)