Jalen is a popular modern baby name for boys. With its contemporary use first coined during the 1970s, Jalen has become a perennial favorite for athletes in all major leagues. Jalen is also a character in the Dragon Age series, and Jalen is the protagonist of the children's tale Jalen Goes to School by Sharon Boakye. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning and Origin of the name Jalen:
Jalen is a modern name with two etymologies. The first origin invented a name that combines the names James and Leonard. James derives from the Hebrew word Ya'aqov, which means “supplanter” or “one who follows.” The name Leonard derives from the Latin loan word lewo (meaning “lion”) and the Germanic word hard (meaning “brave” or “hardy”). Alternatively, Jalen is a modern interpretation of the Greek word galínios (stylized as jalín). This word means “calm” or “tranquil.”
Symbolism of the name Jalen:
Jalen is a modern name that combines James (meaning “supplanter”) and Leonard (meaning “brave” or “hardy”). This name was a 1973 invention of the parents of basketball star Jalen Anthony Rose. The given name served as a portmanteau intended to honor the names of Jalen's father and uncle. In Old Hebrew culture, the symbol of James is the heel. The Germanic symbol for Leonard is the lion's mane.
Nicknames for the name Jalen:
Style of the name Jalen:
Gender of the name Jalen:
Jalen is a boy's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Jalen:
Number of syllables in the name Jalen:
Emotion evoked from the name Jalen:
The name Jalen evokes feelings of talent and trust.
Alternative spellings for the name Jalen:
Popularity of the name Jalen:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Jalen was the 549th most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Jalen:
Great middle names for Jalen and their meanings:
- Alden (old friend, wise protector)
- Beckham (stream settlement, pick-axe homestead)
- Camden (winding valley, enclosed vale)
- Ernest (serious, resolute, earnest)
- Gilbert (bright pledge)
- Manuel (God is with us)
- Nicholas (victory of the people)
- Orel (eagle, golden, light of God)
- Ridley (reed meadow)
- Russell (red-haired, fox-colored, ruddy)
- Tony (priceless one, highly praiseworthy)
- Wardell (Watchman Hill)
Famous people with the name Jalen:
- Jalen James Acosta (film producer)
- Jalen Michael Black (television personality)
- Jalen Thomas Brooks (actor)
- Jalen Marquis Brunson (basketball player)
- Jalen Carnell Collins (football player)
- Jalen Romande Green (basketball player)
- Jalen Alexander Hurts (football player)
- Jalen Tyrese Johnson (basketball player)
- Jalen Armand Reagor (football player)
- Jalen Rasheed Smith (basketball player)
Jalen in popular culture:
- Jalen (character in the Dragon Age series)
- Jalen (protagonist of Jalen Goes to School by Sharon Boakye)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Tatyana Vyc/Shutterstock.com.