Phylicia is a fantastic baby name for girls. Classic in origin, this name has a unique composition that is both inspiring and uplifting in tone. Phylicia Wenton Evans is the name of a favorite character on One Life to Live, and Phylicia is also the name of a line of bestselling footwear. Keep reading to learn more about this feminine name.
Meaning of the name Phylicia:
Latin: Lucky, successful, happy
Origin of the name Phylicia:
Phylicia is a portmanteau of the names Phyllis and Felicia. The name Phyllis derives from the Greek word Φυλλίς (meaning “foliage”). Felicia is a feminine derivative of the Latin name Felix. This name originated as a Roman cognomen that meant “lucky,” “successful,” or “happy”).
Symbolism of the name Phylicia:
Phylicia is a combination of the names Phyllis and Felicia. In Greek mythology, Phyllis was the name of a woman who perished out of love for Demophon. According to legend, the gods honored this woman's love by transforming her into foliage. The symbol of Phyllis is the almond tree. Felicia is the female variation of the Roman cognomen Felix (meaning “happy”). One can still see the influence of Roman Latin in modern-day terms like felice (the Italian word for “happy”) and feliz (the word for “happy” in both Spanish and Portuguese).
Style of the name Phylicia:
Gender of the name Phylicia:
Phylicia is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Phylicia:
Number of syllables in the name Phylicia:
Emotion evoked from the name Phylicia:
The name Phylicia evokes feelings of svelte sophistication.
Alternative spellings for the name Phylicia:
Nicknames for the name Phylicia:
Popularity of the name Phylicia:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Phylicia was the 932nd most popular baby name for girls in 1991.
Related names for the name Phylicia:
Great middle names for Phylicia and their meanings:
- Angelynn (heavenly messenger, angelic lake)
- Brandis (broom-covered hill, fiery beacon, sword)
- Clare (clear, bright, famous)
- Elisabeth (my God is an oath)
- Geraldine (spear ruler)
- Ivy (evergreen climbing vine)
- Joanne (God is gracious)
- Kaylee (pure meadow)
- Layne (path, roadway)
- Michelle (who is like God)
- Nolene (champion)
- Sinclair (pure, renowned, illustrious)
- Trixie (voyager, bringer of joy)
- Valerie (strong, brave, valiant)
- Wyomie (wide meadow, broad plain)
Famous people with the name Phylicia:
- Phylicia Ashley (broadcast journalist)
- Phylicia Lee Brown (sociologist)
- Phylicia Ellis (bridal gown designer)
- Phylicia Fant (music executive)
- Phylicia George (track and field athlete)
- Phylicia Masonheimer (theologian)
- Phylicia Ayers-Allen Rashad (actress)
- Phylicia Albina Thomas (public figure)
- Phylicia Nsona Wissa (actress)
Phylicia in popular culture:
- Phylicia (product line distributed through the Dansko footwear company)
- Phylicia Wenton Evans (character on One Life to Live)