Elisabeth is a German, Danish, and English girl’s baby name that means “pledged to God”. Elisabeth is a variant spelling of Elizabeth and much less popular, having fallen to #985 as of 2020. Related names like Elsa and Ellie have become more popular in its place.
Meaning of the name Elisabeth:
English, German, Danish: pledged to God
Origin of the name Elisabeth:
Elisabeth is the German and Danish version of the English name Elizabeth. It is also commonly used as a variant spelling in English. Elisabeth means “pledged to God”.
Symbolism of the name Elisabeth:
There Queen Elizabeth rose is an old fashioned soft pink rose named for Queen Elizabeth II. This breed of rose symbolizes grace, nobility, and admiration.
Style of the name Elisabeth:
Gender of the name Elisabeth:
Elisabeth is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Elisabeth:
i-LIZ-ə-bəth (English), eh-LEE-za-beht (German), eh-LEE-sa-beht (Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian), eh-LEE-sa-behd (Danish)
Number of syllables in the name Elisabeth:
Emotion evoked from the name Elisabeth:
Elisabeth evokes feelings of refinement and grace.
Alternative spellings for the name Elisabeth:
Elizabeth, Elisabet, Elsabeth, Elyzabeth
Nicknames for the name Elisabeth:
Popularity of the name Elisabeth:
According to the Social Security Administration, Elisabeth is a classily popular baby girl’s name. Elisabeth has been in the top 1000 baby names since 1900. Elisabeth peaked in 2001 at #286.
Related names for the name Elisabeth:
Great middle names for the name Elisabeth and their meanings:
- Adelaide (noble)
- Vera (faith)
- Sadie (princess)
- Maya (water)
- Ariadne (most holy)
- Sybil (prophetess)
- Alma (nurturing soul)
- Vivian (life)
- Thalia (flourishing)
Famous people with the name Elisabeth:
- Elisabeth Rohm (American actress)
- Elisabeth Harnois (American actress)
- Elisabeth Bergner (German actress)
- Elisabeth Schwarzkopf (Austrian-British operatic soprano)
- Elisabeth Kubler Ross (American psychiatrist and author)
Elisabeth in popular culture:
- Elisabeth “Sissi” Delmas (television, “Code Lyoko”)
- Elisabeth (theatre, “Elisabeth”)
- Elisabeth (literature, “Elisabeth: The Princess Bride” by Barry Deneburg)
- Elisabeth Doppler (television, “Dark”)
- Elisabeth (literature, “Echo” by Pam Muñoz Ryan)