Maya is a popular and global female baby name. With its pleasing blend of consonants and vowels, it is no wonder that cultures around the world have embraced this name. According to tradition, Maya of Sakya was the mother of the Buddha, and Maya is an alternate name of the goddess Lakshmi. In contemporary popular culture, Maya Bennett is a character on The Suite Life on Deck, and Maya Hart is a character on Girl Meets World. Keep reading to learn more about this dynamic and exciting baby name.
Meaning of the name Maya:
- Sanskrit, Hindi, Marathi: Magic, illusion
- Greek: Good mother
- Hebrew: Water
- Persian, Avestan: Generous, gracious
- Amharic: To help see further
- Nepali: Love
- Māori: Bravery, courage
Origin of the name Maya:
Maya is a classic name with various meanings around the world. In Sanskrit and its descendant languages, Maya means “magic” or “illusion.” For ancient Greeks, Maya was a variant spelling of Maia, the “good mother” of the messenger-god Hermes.
In Amharic, Maya refers to a lens that helps individuals see further. Ancient Persians and Avestans defined Maya as “generosity” or “graciousness.” In modern Nepali, Maya means “love.” Finally, Maya means “courage” or “bravery” in the Māori language. Maya is an extremely popular name for Māori girls born in New Zealand.
Symbolism of the name Maya
Maya is associated with the “mother goddess” in many cultures around the world. The symbol for Maya is the lotus or lily.
Style of the name Maya:
Gender of the name Maya:
Maya's is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Maya:
Number of syllables in the name Maya:
Emotion evoked from the name Maya:
The name Maya evokes feelings of comfort and contentment.
Alternative spellings for the name Maya:
Nicknames for the name Maya:
Popularity of the name Maya:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Maya was the 61t most popular baby girl name of 2020. Maya has ranked among the top 100 baby names for girls since 2002.
Related names for the name Maya:
Great middle names for Maya and their meanings:
- Adeline (noble)
- Bernadette (strong, brave bear)
- Claire (clear, bright, famous)
- Cordelia (heart, daughter of the sea)
- Emerald (precious gemstone)
- Jean (God is gracious)
- Josephine (God will increase)
- Lilith (of the night)
- Nadine (hope)
- Therese (late summer)
Famous people with the name Maya:
- Maya Ackerman (computer scientist)
- Maya Angelou (poet)
- Maya Ying Lin (architect)
- Maya April Moore (basketball player)
- Maya Khabira Rudolph (actress and comedienne)
- Maya Kassandra Soetoro (half-sister of Barack Obama)
- Maya Ray Thurman (daughter of Uma Thurman)
- Maya Rose Weisman (daughter of Kevin Weisman)
Mayas in popular culture:
- Maya Tamerlane Fikry (protagonist of The Storied Life of AJ Fikry)
- Maya Herrera (character on Heroes)
- Maya Penelope Hart (character on Girl Meets World)