The baby name Queenie was quite popular during the Victorian era, and it was even a top 1,000 baby name for girls in the early 20th century in the United States. It seems to be trying to make a comeback, and we don't see why it wouldn't. It's a cutesy quirky word name that also symbolizes royalty. We love the way it sounds with one-syllable middle names, like Rose, Mae, and Joy.
Meaning and Origin of the name Queenie:
Queenie is an English girl's name meaning “queen” or “woman.”
Queenie became a popular word nickname and, eventually, given name during the Victorian era. It was, of course, derived from the word queen. The word queen most likely came from the Old English word cwen, which means “woman.”
Symbolism of the name Queenie:
Of course, the baby name Queenie symbolizes queens and royalty. Any new parent who chooses the name for their little girl may see her as their own little queen of the household.
Nicknames for the name Queenie:
Queenie is an elegant sounding name and perfect for any little girl. There aren't many options for nicknames, however. We have created the list below of the few options there are for nicknames.
Style of the name Queenie:
Gender of the name Queenie:
Queenie is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Queenie:
Number of syllables in the name Queenie:
Emotion evoked from the name Queenie:
The baby name Queenie evokes images of someone who is cute and sassy.
Alternative spellings for the name Queenie:
Popularity of the name Queenie:
According to the Social Security Administration, Queenie was a top 1,000 baby name for girls in the United States up until around 1927. It was most popular in 1905 when it ranked at 545. It last ranked at number 948 in 1927.
Related names for the name Queenie:
Great middle names for Queenie and their meanings:
- Mae (pearl)
- Ruth (compassionate friend)
- Joy (happiness)
- Noelle (Christmas)
- Rose (flower)
- Fern (fern)
- Charlotte (free man)
- Scarlett (red)
- Roselyn (gentle horse)
Famous people with the name Queenie:
- Queenie Chu (actress and host)
- Queenie Dorothy Leavis (writer and critic)
- Queenie McKenzie (artist)
- Queenie Smith (actress)
- Queenie Thomas (actress)
Queenies in popular culture:
- Queenie (character on the TV show “Blackadder”)
- Queenie Yoh (character on the TV show “Lost Hope”)
- Queenie (character in the musical “Showboat”)
- Queenie (character in the movie “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”)
- Queenie (character on the TV show “American Horror Story”)
- Magdalene “Queenie” Shaw (character in the “Fast and Furious” movies)
- Queenie (character in the short story “Queenie” by Alice Munro)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©ESB Professional/Shutterstock.com.