Shannon is an Irish baby girl’s name that means “old and wise”. Shannon has declined in popularity since the late 90’s and disappeared from the top 1000 names in 2014.
Meaning of the name Shannon:
Irish: old and wise
Origin of the name Shannon:
Shannon is an Irish girl’s name that comes from the name of the longest river in Ireland, the River Shannon. In Irish it is called Abha an tSionainn.
Symbolism of the name Shannon:
The River Shannon is the longest river in Ireland. In Irish mythology the river is significant enough that there is a goddess, Sionainn that rules over and protects it.
Style of the name Shannon:
Gender of the name Shannon:
Shannon can be used for both boys and girls, though it's more common for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Shannon:
Number of syllables in the name Shannon:
Emotion evoked from the name Shannon:
Shannon evokes feelings of wisdom and intelligence.
Alternative spellings for the name Shannon:
Shannen, Shanon, Shannyn, Sionann
Nicknames for the name Shannon:
Popularity of the name Shannon:
According to the Social Security Administration, Shannon has been a popular girl’s name since 1937. Shannon was at peak popularity between 1968 and 1997 when it stayed in the top 100 names.
Related names for the name Shannon:
Great middle names for the name Shannon and their meanings:
- Cordelia (heart, daughter of the sea)
- Delilah (delicate)
- Arabella (yielding to prayer)
- Ariel (lion of God)
- Maisie (pearl)
- Lucy (light)
- Jane (God is gracious)
- Claire (bright, clear)
- Grace (grace)
- Emma (universal)
- Amelia (work)
- Audrey (noble strength)
Famous people with the name Shannon:
- Shannon “Shay” Mitchell (Canadian Model and Actress)
- Shannon Beador (American reality TV personality)
- Shannon Lee Miller (American Olympic gymnast)
- Shannon Sossamon (American actress)
- Shannon Woodward (American actress)
Shannons in popular culture:
- Shannon Christie (film, “Far and Away”)
- Shannon Rutherford (television, “Lost”)
- Shannon “Lolly” Allen (television, “Neighbours”)
- Shannon Mitchell (television, “ER”)
- Shannon Fielding Gibbs (television, “NCIS”)