Sheridan is a unisex name that's used mostly for girls these days. It has Gaelic roots and a preppy feel. It's also a common surname, so it's found some popularity in recent years with the whole “surname as a given name” trend. The name pairs well with classic and modern middle names and comes with a variety of nicknames.
Meaning of the name Sheridan:
Origin of the name Sheridan:
Sheridan is a name with Gaelic origins that means “searcher” or “seeker.” It's also an English version of an Irish surname.
Symbolism of the name Sheridan:
Because of its meaning, new parents may see Sheridan as a symbol of an adventure or their new babies as an answer to something they sought. It could also be a symbol of your Irish or Gaelic heritage.
Style of the name Sheridan:
Gender of the name Sheridan:
Sheridan is a name given to both boys and girls, though it's most common for girls in modern times.
Pronunciation of the name Sheridan:
Number of syllables in the name Sheridan:
Emotion evoked from the name Sheridan:
The baby name Sheridan evokes images of someone who is bold and free-spirited.
Alternative spellings for the name Sheridan:
Nicknames for the name Sheridan:
Popularity of the name Sheridan:
Sheridan was a top 1,000 baby name for girls in the United States in 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, and 2002. It was most popular in 2001 when it ranked at number 780. It last ranked at number 983 in 2002.
Related names for the name Sheridan:
Great middle names for Sheridan and their meanings:
- Grace (God's grace)
- Amelia (work)
- Harper (harp player)
- Rose (flower)
- Olivia (olive tree)
- Avery (ruler of the elves)
- Alexaner (defender of men)
- Madison (son of Matthew)
- Theodora (Gift from God)
Famous people with the name Sheridan:
- Sheridan Le Fanu (writer)
- Sheridan Morley (broadcaster and writer)
- Sheridan Smith (actress)
- Sheridan Tongue (composer)
- Sheridan (stage name of musician Eric Prydz)
- Sheridan Smith (model)
Sheridans in popular culture:
- Sheridan Bucket (character from the TV show “Keeping Up Appearances”)
- Sheridan Crane (character from the soap opera “Passions”)
- Sheridan(character in the play “The Man Who Came for Dinner”)
- Sheridan Spencer (character in the book “The Pretenders” by Lisi Harris)