Viridiana is a lively baby name for girls. Ancient in origin, the name underwent a cultural revival during the 20th century. Viridiana is the titular heroine of an award-winning film, and Viridiana Sovari is an important character in the Night Angel series. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Viridiana:
Origin of the name Viridiana:
Viridiana is the feminine version of the Latin male name Viridianus. This name derived from the Latin word viridis (meaning “green”). Alternatively, Viridiana originates from the Celtic word wīrjā (meaning “truth”). Combined with the Celtic suffix dī, the name implies that a person is the bearer of truth.
Symbolism of the name Viridiana:
Viridiana is a feminine name that originates from the Latin word viridis (meaning “green”). Viridius is also the name of an ancient god revered in Roman Britain and Roman Gaul. Celtic in origin, Viridius was the god of plants, shrubs, and greenery. The god also represented the rebirth of spring. Ancient Romans depicted the pagan mythic personage of this deity as either a man or a woman who sprouted from green leaves or vines. Pagan icons of this deity appeared in some churches well into the Middle Ages. Symbols for Viridius included plant shoots and vines.
Style of the name Viridiana:
Gender of the name Viridiana:
Viridiana is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Viridiana:
Number of syllables in the name Viridiana:
Emotion evoked from the name Viridiana:
The name Viridiana evokes feelings of liveliness and vitality.
Alternative spellings for the name Viridiana:
Nicknames for the name Viridiana:
Popularity of the name Viridiana:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Viridiana 945th most popular baby name for girls in 1996.
Related names for the name Viridiana:
Great middle names for Viridiana and their meanings:
- Anora (honor)
- April (opening, fourth month)
- Briar (wild rose, bramble)
- Clover (key, adherent, meadow flower)
- Emily (work, rival)
- Flor (flower)
- Kacie (vigilant)
- Morgan (sea chieftain)
- Shila (conduct, disposition, character)
- Wynn (friend, blessed, white, fair)
Famous people with the name Viridiana:
- Viridiana Alatriste (actress)
- Viridiana Guzmán (costume designer)
- Viridiana Marquez (actress)
- Viridiana Grace Masanja (mathematician)
- Viridiana Margaret del Mazziere (nun)
- Viridiana Olvera (casting director)
- Viridiana Robles (actress)
- Viridiana Salazar (footballer)
- Viridiana Valencia (makeup artist)
Viridiana in popular culture:
- Viridiana (titular protagonist of the Spanish-Mexican film Viridiana)
- Viridiana Sovari (character in the Night Angel trilogy)