½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
4 eggs, separated
4 Tablespoons butter, softened to room temperature
¼ cup flour
1 cup milk
¼ cup half and half
1 cup fresh, frozen, thawed, or canned corn, drained
1. Set the oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 400°F. butter a 1 ½ quart glass or ovenproof baking dish or coat with vegetable spray.
2. Combine salt, pepper, and mustard in a small bowl and set aside. Place egg yolks in a medium bowl . Place egg whites in the bowl of standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
3. Melt butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat, add flour, and stir with wooden spoon until combined.
4. Return pan to heat, increase to medium and add milk and half and half. Stir until sauce has thickened.
5. Add salt, pepper, and mustard, and stir to combine. Remove sauce from heat and spoon into large bowl. Beat yolks with fork to combine.
6. Pour small amount of sauce into yolks, whisking to temper yolks, then return yolk mixture to bowl with sauce, whisking to combine quickly. Fold corn into sauce mixture.
7. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into sauce mixture until completely combined.
8. Turn down oven to 350°F. Pour soufflé mixture into prepared dish. Bake 1 hour, or until soufflé rises, turns golden brown on top, and pulls away from sides of baking dish. A tester inserted into the center should come out clean. Soufflé will deflate within a few minutes, so serve immediately. Place any leftovers in a container, cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate.
Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas with activities every day from December 1st until Christmas Day!