Annabel is a popular baby girl’s name that is Scottish and English in origin. Annabel is the Scottish form of the name Amabel and means “loving”. It is also an English name that is the combination of Anna and Belle, meaning “graceful beauty”. Annabel is one of those vintage classic names that found new life in the early 00s.
Meaning of the name Annabel:
English: graceful beauty
Origin of the name Annabel:
Annabel is a baby girl’s name of Scottish and English origin. Annabel is the Scottish form of the name Amabel and means “loving”. In English, Annabel is a portmanteau of the names Anna (meaning “grace”) and Belle (meaning “beauty”).
Symbolism of the name Annabel:
Annabel means both “loving” and “graceful beauty”. There are many flowers that mean grace and beauty, such as hydrangea, snapdragon, and primrose.
Style of the name Annabel:
Gender of the name Annabel:
Annabel is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Annabel:
Number of syllables in the name Annabel:
Emotion evoked from the name Annabel:
Annabel evokes feelings of love and grace.
Alternative spellings for the name Annabel:
Anabel, Annabelle, Anabelle, Annabell, Anabell
Nicknames for the name Annabel:
Popularity of the name Annabel:
According to the Social Security Administration, Annabel is a popular baby girl’s name. Annabel was in the top 1000 baby names from 1900 to 1932 and again from 2000 to 2018. It peaked at #447 in 2014.
Related names for the name Annabel:
Great middle names for the name Annabel and their meanings:
- Genevieve (tribe woman)
- Delilah (delicate)
- Ophelia (help)
- Luna (moon)
- Flora (flower)
- Clementine (mild, merciful)
- Rose (the flower)
- Iris (rainbow)
Famous people with the name Annabel:
- Annabel Croft (English tennis player and TV commentator)
- Annabel Langbein (New Zealand celebrity chef)
- Annabel Lamb (English singer-songwriter)
- Annabel Lyon (Canadian novelist)
- Annabel Clare Mullion (Anglo-Irish actress)
Annabel in popular culture:
- Annabel Lee (literature, poem by Edgar Allan Poe)
- Annabel Williams (literature, “Annabel” by L. Frank Baum)
- Annabel “Anna” Coleman (literature & film, “Freaky Friday”)
- Annabel (literature, “Lolita” by Vladimir Nabokov)
- Annabel (film, “Soul Survivors”)