Aydin is a cheerful traditional baby name for boys. With its longstanding historical usage in diverse cultures ranging from Turkish to Irish, Aydin's attractive composition has enabled it to retain popularity during the modern era. Aydin is the name of a fleet officer in the Star Trek series, and Aydin Bayat is a character in the Orange is the New Black series. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the Name Aydin
Aydin is a traditional name that originates from the Turkish or Persian word آیدین (meaning “enlightened”). Alternatively, Aydin is also a spelling variation of the name Aidan. The name Aidan arose from the Old Gaelic name Aodhán and ultimately derives from the Old Irish nickname Áedán (meaning “little fire”).
Aydin originates from the Turkish or Persian word Turkish or Persian word آیدین (meaning “enlightened” or “bright”). In addition, Aydin is a variation of the Irish nickname Áedán (meaning “little fire”). The name Áedán was a diminutive of Aodh (also known as the Irish deity of sun and fire). Symbols of the divine Aodh included the ember, campfire, and fire bolt.
Nicknames for Aydin
The name Aydin evokes feelings of agency and ability. If you're looking to find a nickname for the Aydin in your life, we recommend options like “Dinny” or “Aye”. Below, we've created a list of possible nicknames to help get you started:
Aydin Name Details
Alternative Spelling for Aydin
Aydin Name Popularity
According to the Social Security Administration index, Aydin was the 867th most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related Names for Aydin
Great Middle Names for Aydin and Their Meanings
- Aarav (peaceful noise, calm sound)
- Bo (live, wave)
- Cassidy (curly haired, clever)
- Gideon (feller, hewer, sawyer, woodsman)
- Keanu (cool breeze)
- Matt (gift of God)
- Regis (king, ruler, regent)
- Severin (serious, stern)
- Ulvi (exalted, high)
- Vance (marsh, fen)
- Yiğit (brave, valiant, strong)
- Ziya (light, splendor, luminescence, glow)
Famous People Named Aydin
- Aydin Aghdashloo (painter)
- Aydın Boysan (architect)
- Aydın Dikmen (business magnate)
- Aydın Güven Gürkan (politician)
- Aydın Kurtoğlu (composer)
- Aydin Mirzazade (politician)
- Aydın Örs (basketball coach)
- Aydın Sayılı (historian)
- Aydin Senkut (tech executive)
- Aydın Toscalı (footballer)
Aydin in Popular Culture
- Aydin (fleet officer in the Star Trek series)
- Aydin Bayat (character in the Orange is the New Black series)
- Aydın Province (administrative locality in the Aegean region of Turkey)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Anicka S/Shutterstock.com.