Garrison is a given name that is perfect for making a compelling statement. Strong and sturdy, this name also has a notable role in popular culture. Garrison Kane is the name of a popular character in the Marvel Comics universe, and Garrison Church is one of the most famous edifices in Sydney, Australia. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Garrison:
Old French: Military post, troops, fortified place
Old Germanic: Spear ruler
Origin of the name Garrison:
Garrison is a given name taken directly from the traditional surname. This surname has two possible etymologies. The most popular origin is that Garrison derives from the Middle English word garisoun and the Old French word gareison (both meaning “stronghold” or “fortified place”). Garrisons referred to military bases and the troops stationed within those headquarters. The original French root guerir (meaning “to defend”) is also the source of Modern English terms like “guerilla warfare.”
The second important etymology is that Garrison is a patronymic surname that meant “son of Garret” or “son of Gerard.” Both names derive from the Old Germanic elements ger (meaning “spear”) and wald (meaning “rule”). The patronymic version became popular throughout Northern Europe and arrived in England as Gerhardsen during the Viking Age. English speakers eventually anglicized the name to produce Garrison.
Symbolism of the name Garrison:
Garrison is a traditional name that refers to the French military term “garrison” or the Old High German name Gerard. In the military sense, the word garrison is a collective term for a military base or body of troops. As a location name, “garrison towns” can also refer to municipalities that support a military compound. Garrison towns remain in active use in the Middle East today. The traditional symbol of the garrison was the castle or fort.
Style of the name Garrison:
Gender of the name Garrison:
Garrison is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Garrison:
Number of syllables in the name Garrison:
Emotion evoked from the name Garrison:
The name Garrison evokes feelings of dignity and distinction.
Alternative spellings for the name Garrison:
Nicknames for the name Garrison:
Popularity of the name Garrison:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Garrison was the 1,310th most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Garrison:
Great middle names for Garrison and their meanings:
- Adair (wealth, happy spear, oak tree ford)
- Asa (healer)
- Chance (good fortune, luck, chancellor)
- Clive (cliff)
- Edward (rich guardian, wealthy protector)
- Issac (laughter, he who laughs, he who rejoices)
- Heath (heather field dweller)
- Keaton (hawk dwelling, shed town)
- Lowell (little wolf)
- Orion (light of heaven, horizon, boundary, limit)
- Roderick (famous ruler)
- Todd (fox)
- Zoran (dawn, aurora, sunrise)
Famous people with the name Garrison:
- Garrison Alexander (actor)
- Garrison O'Neal Brooks (basketball player)
- Garrison Michael Farquharson-Keener (actor)
- Garrison Hearst (football player)
- Garrison “Gary” Hershberger (actor)
- Garrison Edward Keillor (humorist)
- Garrison Mathews (basketball player)
- Garrison Smith (football player)
Garrison in popular culture:
- Garrison (punk-rock band from Boston, Massachusetts)
- Garrison Church (edifice in Sydney, Australia)
- Garrison Kane (character in the Marvel Comics universe)
- Garrison Petawawa (army base in Ontario, Canada)