Lamont is a distinguished classic baby name for boys. Known for its intriguing and colorful history, Lamont went on to become one of the coolest boy names of the 1970s. Lamont Cranston is the protagonist of The Shadow series, and Lamont Sanford was a character on the Sanford and Son series. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Lamont:
Old Norse: Man of the law
French: The mountain, upstream, uphill
Origin of the name Lamont:
Lamont is a classic name with two distinct origins. The most prominent origin is from the Scottish surname Lamont. This name derived from the medieval Gaelic given name Lagmann. The name Lagmann ultimately derived from the Old Norse term lǫgmaðr (meaning “law man”).
Alternatively, Lamont is also a French name that means “the mountain.” As a surname, it can derive from the French place name Amont (meaning “upsteam,” “uphill,” or “from the mountain”). The surname Lamont has appeared frequently in French locations like Haute-Saône and Haute-Vienne.
Symbolism of the name Lamont:
Lamont is a Scottish surname that originated from the Old Norse name lǫgmaðr (meaning “law man”). The Norse symbol for the lawmaker was the sword of justice.
Style of the name Lamont:
Gender of the name Lamont:
Lamont is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Lamont:
Number of syllables in the name Lamont:
Emotion evoked from the name Lamont:
The name Lamont evokes feelings of stability and strength.
Alternative spellings for the name Lamont:
Nicknames for the name Lamont:
Popularity of the name Lamont:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Lamont was the 1,753rd most popular baby name for boys in 20202.
Related names for the name Lamont:
Great middle names for Lamont and their meanings:
- Angelo (heavenly messenger, celestial being)
- Colton (coal town)
- Damian (tame, conquer, subdue)
- David (beloved)
- Elam (hidden, distant, eternal)
- Ignacio (fiery)
- Jacques (supplanter)
- Koa (brave warrior, acacia tree)
- Lucas (bringer of light)
- Moses (son, deliverer, drawn from water)
- Rhys (ardent)
- Siddhartha (accomplished, successful, prosperous)
- Zohar (light, brilliance, splendor)
Famous people with the name Lamont:
- Lamont Bentley (actor)
- Lamont Eugene Brightful (football player)
- Lamont Coleman (singer)
- Lamont Herbert Dozier (songwriter)
- Lamont Jody Hawkins (singer)
- Lamont Bertrell Hollinquest (football player)
- Lamont Marcell Jacobs (track and field athlete)
- Lamont Damon Jordan (football coach)
- Lamont Miles Williams (son of singer and producer Otis Williams)
- Lamont Young (architect)
Lamont in popular culture:
- Lamont Cranston (protagonist of The Shadow series)
- Lamont Sanford (character on the Sanford and Son series)