If you have a passion for French baby names or simply want to honor your French heritage, you may consider the name Jacques for your little boy. These days, it's considered outdated in both France and the United States, but vintage names for boys and girls are making a comeback. Pair it with a cool middle name like Casper or Stone to give it a modern twist.
Meaning of the name Jacques:
French and Hebrew: To follow and replace, supplant
Origin of the name Jacques:
Jacques is the French version of the Hebrew name Jacob and the English name James.
Symbolism of the name Jacques:
In the Bible, Jacob was the younger brother of Esau, but he was also the stronger of the two, so parents of the Christian and Jewish faiths may find some symbolism there. Jacques is also a name highly associated with French nobility throughout history, so it could be used to honor your French ancestry.
Style of the name Jacques:
Gender of the name Jacques:
Jacques is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Jacques:
Number of syllables in the name Jacques:
Emotion evoked from the name Jacques:
The baby name Jacques evokes images of someone who is responsible and successful.
Alternative spellings for the name Jacques:
Nicknames for the name Jacques:
Popularity of the name Jacques:
Jacques first made an appearance on the list of the top 1,000 baby names for boys in the United States in 1924. It didn't make the list again until 1947, and it remained there until 1998. According to the Social Security Administration, it last ranked at number 914 in 1998.
Related names for the name Jacques:
Great middle names for Jacques and their meanings:
- Drew (strong, manly)
- Stone (word name)
- Christian (follower of Christ)
- Carlos (free man)
- Alexander (protector of men)
- Casper (bringer of treasure)
- Brian (noble)
- Emmanuel (God is with us)
- Edmund (fortunate protector)
- Jordan (flowing down)
Famous people with the name Jacques:
- Jacques Cartier (explorer)
- Jacques Cousteau (explorer and filmmaker)
- Jacque Chirac (French president)
- Jacques Dutronc (singer and actor)
- Jacques Pépin (TV chef)
- Jacques Webster (given name of rapper Travis Scott)
Jacques in popular culture:
- Jacques (character in the “Finding Nemo” movies)
- Jacques Von Hämsterviel (character from the “Lilo & Stitch” movies)
- Jacques Beaupierre (character from the book “Skeleton Dance”)
- Jacques Snicket (character from the “Series of Unfortunate Events” books)
- Inspector Jacques Clouseau (character from the “Pink Panther” franchise)