Mitch is a baby boy’s name of English origin that means “who is like God?” and “large”. Mitch is a diminutive of the name Mitchell and was popular in the middle of the 20th century. Mitch has never been as popular as Mitchell, which is still going strong as of 2020.
Meaning of the name Mitch:
English: who is like God?, large
Origin of the name Mitch:
Mitch is a baby boy’s name of English origin that means “who is like God?” or “large”. Mitch is a diminutive of the name Mitchell which is a derivation of the Hebrew name Michael. It is also related to the Old English term “michel”.
Symbolism of the name Mitch:
Mitch means “who is like God?” and comes from the Hebrew name Michael. Michael is one of the archangels in Judeo-Christian and Islamic theology. Michael has dominion over natural phenomena and is the leader of God’s armies.
Style of the name Mitch:
Gender of the name Mitch:
Mitch is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Mitch:
Number of syllables in the name Mitch:
Emotion evoked from the name Mitch:
Mitch evokes feelings of confidence and intelligence.
Alternative spellings for the name Mitch:
Mich, Mitche, Miche
Nicknames for the name Mitch:
Popularity of the name Mitch:
According to the Social Security Administration, Mitch is a popular baby boy’s name. Mitch has been in the top 1000 baby names list between 1955 and 1970 and again between 1980 and 1982. It peaked at #396 in 1961.
Related names for the name Mitch:
Great middle names for the name Mitch and their meanings:
- August (great, magnificent)
- Silas (forest)
- Theo (gift of God)
- Elliot (Jehovah is God)
- Simon (flat-nosed)
- Oscar (God spear, deer-lover, champion warrior)
- Taft (building site)
- Lennon (lover)
Famous people with the name Mitch:
- Mitch Grassi (American singer)
- Mitch Albom (American novelist and journalist)
- Mitch Pileggi (American actor)
- Mitch McGary (American basketball player)
- Mitch Evans (New Zealand racing driver)
Mitch in popular culture:
- Mitch Buchannon (television, “Baywatch”)
- Mitch “Muscle Man” Sorrenstein (television, “Regular Show”)
- Robert “Mitch” Mitchell (television, “Adventures in Odyssey”)
- Lt. Mitch Kellaway (film, “The Mask”)
- Big Mitch television, “Phineas and Ferb”)