Bacon is a delicious addition to any meal. However, many people enjoy it first thing in the morning for breakfast! There are a few different ways to cook this meat, and there is a way to cook bacon perfectly. You can enjoy the crispy and smoky bacon flavor with these methods!
Bacon comes from the belly of a pig and contains quite a bit of fat. Since it has a high-fat content, the healthiness of bacon is often up for debate. While it does maintain essential nutrients like iron and potassium, it is also high in salt content. Therefore, it is best to enjoy bacon in moderation.
The Flavor of Bacon
Bacon is crispy and salty. It also has a sweet undertone and can be a bit smoky. All these flavors and textures contribute to the addicting flavor that makes up bacon.
While pork bacon is one of the more popular forms of bacon because of its rich and intense flavor, there are other options. These options may even be a bit healthier with less fat and salt content!
Try one of these alternatives if you are looking for a healthier option:
Bacon needs to cook just right to enjoy it to the fullest. Below are simple ways to cook bacon perfectly, whether you eat it paired with your eggs and toast or on top of your hamburger!
How to Fry Bacon, Perfectly
Frying bacon is the most popular way to cook this meat. It is quick and easy; however, frying can also be a bit messy! This method keeps the bacon from getting too crispy too fast and keeps the grease from popping as much.
- Nonstick frying ban
Layer the bacon pieces in one layer in a cold frying pan. The cold frying pan will keep the fat from rendering too quickly.
Add a small amount of water to the pan and cook the bacon over low-medium heat. The water will allow the bacon to maintain moisture.
Continue to cook the bacon on low heat until it crisps and browns.
Flip the bacon halfway through cooking so that the bacon browns evenly.
After reaching the desired crispiness, remove from the heat and place on a plate covered with a paper towel. This will drain the grease.
Enjoy while hot!
How to Bake Bacon, Perfectly
Baking bacon in the oven is another way to enjoy this delicious meat. While it may take a little longer than pan-frying, it is less messy and still produces tasty and crispy bacon!
- Favorite glaze
- Baking sheets
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
While waiting for the oven to heat up, line one or two baking sheets with aluminum foil. The aluminum foil will make cleaning up a lot easier. If you do not have foil, you can skip this step.
Next, layer the bacon in one single layer.
Cook the bacon for 15 to 20 minutes or until your desired level of crispiness.
Be sure to check your bacon often; depending on the thickness, some may become done sooner than others.
Add your favorite glaze to the bacon when only a few minutes are left. You can skip this step if you enjoy bacon's flavor all on its own!
Continue to cook until crispy.
After the bacon is done, remove it from the oven and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Eat on its own or in another delicious recipe.
How to Air Fry Bacon, Perfectly
Airy frying is another popular method of cooking that is quickly becoming prevalent in homes. Also, it cuts down cooking time, is less messy, and is a unique way of cooking. If you are wondering, yes, you can air-fry bacon! They will be crispy and tasty in a short time, just in time for breakfast.
- Air fryer
The first step is to place the bacon into one layer in the air fryer basket. Additionally, this step may need to be done in batches, or the bacon can be cut in half.
If your bacon is regular cut, cook it for seven to ten minutes. If your bacon is thick cut, cook a bit longer, around 12 minutes.
Cook the bacon in the air fryer at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until desired crispiness.
Check your bacon halfway through to ensure it is not getting done too quickly.
When the bacon is done cooking, remove it from the heat and place it on a paper towel-covered plate.
While cooking in batches, the oil in the drip pan will need to be removed in between batches.
Tasty Options to Eat With Your Bacon
- Bacon is often a breakfast food. It is enjoyed alongside eggs and toast and can be found as a staple in many restaurants. However, bacon can also be enjoyed in a variety of different dishes. Here are several other foods that pair well with bacon!
- Baked beans
- Toasted bread
- Macaroni and cheese
- Many enjoy bacon that comes from pork. However, turkey bacon is a healthier option that is just as tasty!
- Bacon is processed meat, which can increase the risk of heart disease and cancer.
- Bacon is cured. Which means it is soaked in salt, sugar, and nitrates. During this process, bacon is often smoked.
- The processing method helps the bacon maintain its color and also preserves it.
- Bacon that comes from pork contains quite a bit of fat.
- The fat content is often a controversial topic when it comes to our health. Many now believe that one should not worry as much about the fat content of bacon. Here's why.
- Bacon contains several important nutrients. These include iron, potassium, and zinc.
- However, bacon is not highly nutritious.
- The salt content in bacon is high.
- Bacon comes from the side of the pig.
- The flavor of bacon will vary. However, it is typically smoky.
Delicious Ways to Eat Bacon
- Bacon, Spinach, and Cheese Quiche: Enjoy this tasty quiche that brings to life unique flavors!
- Southwest Bacon Burgers: Bacon is an excellent addition to any sandwich. Try this recipe for a new lunch or dinner meal.
- Bacon Cheese Loaded Grilled Potatoes: Bacon and potatoes just simply go together! The cheese tops it all off in this yummy recipe.
- Bacon and Cheesy Potato Casserole Recipe: This is another great bacon and potato recipe. Throw it all together in a casserole, the perfect addition for dinnertime!
- Macaroni and Cheese With Bacon: This recipe is a surefire way to allow your kids to enjoy bacon with macaroni! Replace with turkey bacon for a healthier option.
- Baked Cheesy Bacon Breakfast Recipe: This new take on breakfast will bring to life the fantastic flavors of bacon and eggs.
- Bacon Chicken Cheese Quesadillas: The chicken and bacon flavors come to life in one packed quesadilla in this recipe!
- Bacon and Cheese Quiche: A quiche is another way to enjoy bacon for breakfast or lunch. The cheese and cream in this recipe deliver a delicious texture that will have you returning for seconds.
The image featured at the top of this post is ©nelea33/Shutterstock.com.