Alfred is a prestigious baby name for boys. Deeply rooted in English royalty, Alfred has also produced some of the best contemporary nicknames and fictional characters. Alfred J. Kwak is the protagonist of the eponymous anime series, and Alfred Thaddeus Crane Pennyworth is a popular character in the DC Comics universe. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning and Origin of the name Alfred:
Alfred is a boy's name of English origin meaning “elf counsel” or “wise counselor.”
Alfred is the modern version of the Old English name Ælfræd. The name combined the Anglo-Saxon words ælf (meaning “elf” to indicate supernatural power) and ræd (meaning “counsel”). Some modern scholars interpret the name to mean “wise counselor.”
Symbolism of the name Alfred:
Historically, the most famous bearer of the name was Ælfræd the Great (849-899). Ælfræd became the ruler of Wessex at the age of 22. After defeating Danish invaders during this era, Ælfræd became the first king of the united Anglo-Saxons from 886 to 899. In this way, Alfred the Great became a symbol of the power of a unified Britain. Emblems of Alfred the Great include the crown, sword, and the white dragon of the West Saxons. The white dragon is the prominent feature on the banner of Wessex, and this is the banner under which Alfred the Great defeated the Danes at the Battle of Edington.
Nicknames for the name Alfred:
Alfred is a refined and elegant name for boys. You have many options when it comes to nicknames for Alfred. To help you in your search for the perfect nickname, we put together the list below of great nicknames.
Style of the name Alfred:
Gender of the name Alfred:
Alfred is a boy's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Alfred:
Number of syllables in the name Alfred:
Emotion evoked from the name Alfred:
The name Alfred evokes feelings of eminence and honor.
Alternative spellings for the name Alfred:
Popularity of the name Alfred:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Alfred was the 902nd most popular baby name for boys in 2020. Alfred was the 800th most popular baby name for boys in 2019 and the 865th most popular baby name for boys in 2018.
Related names for the name Alfred:
Great middle names for Alfred and their meanings:
- Aquinas (water)
- Broderick (brother, reddish brown)
- Clement (merciful, mild, gentle)
- Draco (dragon, serpent)
- Emmanuel (God is with us)
- Gerald (spear ruler)
- Douglas (dark river)
- Leopold (brave, bold people, courageous lion)
- Merrill (pleasant hill, bright sea)
- Nathaniel (God has given)
- Thaddeus (gift of God, courageous heart)
- Valentine (strong, vigorous, healthy)
- Wolfe (wolf)
Famous people with the name Alfred:
- Alfred Aetheling (English prince)
- Alfred Winsor Brown (naval captain)
- Alfred “Alf” John Francis (rugby player)
- Alfred Abraham Knopf (publisher)
- Alfred Joseph Hitchcock (filmmaker)
- Alfred Bernhard Nobel (founder of the Nobel prize)
- Alfred Joseph Richard de Soysa (politician)
- Alfred Lord Tennyson (poet)
- Alfred Russel Wallace (naturalist)
- Alfred Merrill Worden (astronaut)
Alfred in popular culture:
- Alfred Doolittle (father of Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady)
- Alfred Hedgehog (titular protagonist of The Mysteries of Alfred Hedgehog)
- Alfred J. Kwak (main character of the eponymous anime series)
- Alfred E. Neuman (mascot of the iconic American consumer magazine)
- Alfred Thaddeus Crane Pennyworth (character in the DC Comics universe)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Nina Buday/Shutterstock.com.