Ema is a sweet and cute baby name for girls. It has ancient Germanic roots, but this spelling offers a more modern appearance. Currently, Ema is a top 3,000 option in America.
Meaning of the name Ema:
German: universal, whole
Origin of the name Ema:
Most agree that Ema is a spelling variation of the baby name Emma. Originally, the latter was a diminutive for any Germanic name that began with “ermen.” Emma of Normandy brought the name to the rest of Europe after marrying King Ethelred II. She came to England specifically after the Norman Invasion.
Symbolism of the name Ema:
Ema means “whole” or “universal” because of the ancient Germanic root “ermen” that means the same. Emma has the same meaning.
Style of the name Ema:
Gender of the name Ema:
Ema is an adorable name for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Ema:
Number of syllables in the name Ema:
Emotion evoked from the name Ema:
Ema feels sweet and kindhearted. It is youthful and refined.
Alternative spellings for the name Ema:
Nicknames for the name Ema:
- Ema Bear
- Emy Lou
Popularity of the name Ema:
Ema is not a top 1,000 baby name in America. It never has been one. As of the year 2020, Ema was rank 2,758 in America, making it a top 3,000 option.
Related names for the name Ema:
Great middle names for Ema and their meanings:
- Grace (God's grace)
- Violet (purple)
- Adelaide (noble kind, nobility)
- Rhiannon (great queen, goddess)
- Brooke (small stream)
- Heidi (noble, nobility)
- Lenore (light)
- Arabella (yielding to prayer)
Famous people with the name Ema:
- Ema Burgic (tennis player)
- Ema Klinec (ski jumper)
- Ema Kogure (voice actress, “Secret of Cerulean Sand”)
- Ema Kuribayashi (cricketer)
- Ema Puksec (opera singer)
- Ema Shah (singer, songwriter)
- Ema Toyama (manga artist)
- Ema Onyegbula (Gospel singer)
Emas in popular culture:
- Ema Maeda (character from “Love Hina”)
- Ema Skye (character from “Ace Attorney” video games)
- Ema Hesire (character from “Mannequin”)