Errol is a baby boy’s name of Scottish origin. Errol is a Scottish surname referring to people from a valley near Perthshire. It is also the Scottish form of the English noble title Earl. Errol was popularized by the Australian-American actor Errol Flynn in the 1930s and 40s.
Meaning of the name Errol:
Scottish: nobleman, warrior, valley
Origin of the name Errol:
Errol is the Scottish form of the English name Earl which means “nobleman, warrior”. It is also a Scottish locational surname for people from a valley near Perthshire.
Symbolism of the name Errol:
Errol is the Scottish form of the English term “eorl” or earl. Earl is the oldest English noble title, below only a duke in rank.
Style of the name Errol:
Gender of the name Errol:
Errol is a boy's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Errol:
Number of syllables in the name Errol:
Emotion evoked from the name Errol:
Errol evokes feelings of class and talent.
Alternative spellings for the name Errol:
Erol, Erryl, Eroll, Erroll
Nicknames for the name Errol:
Popularity of the name Errol:
According to the Social Security Administration, Errol is a popular baby boy’s name. Errol was in the top 1000 baby names list from 1936 to 1985. It peaked at #354 in 1941.
Related names for the name Errol:
Great middle names for the name Errol and their meanings:
- Theo (gift of God)
- Oliver (olive tree)
- Leo (lion)
- James (supplanter)
- Owen (young warrior, well-born)
- Louis (renowned warrior)
- Henry (estate ruler)
- Lester (English place name)
Famous people with the name Errol:
- Errol Leslie Thomson Flynn (Australian-American actor)
- Errol Barnett (British-American TV journalist)
- Errol Denis Mann (American football player)
- Errol Mark Morris (American film director)
- Errol Spence (American boxer)
Errol in popular culture:
- Errol L. Forkle (television, “Keeper of the Lost Cities”)
- Errol (literature, “Harry Potter” series by J. K. Rowling)
- Errol (geography, town in New Hampshire)
- Errol Childress (television, “True Detective”)
- Errol (video game, “Arena of Valor”)