Gordon is a very common name for baby boys in the United States. Even though it's not as popular as it once was, it remains a top 1,000 baby name and may even be considered a “grandpa name,” or a name so old-fashioned that it's in again. Gordon is also the name of a Roman saint, a famous chef, and a couple of beloved characters from children's television shows. It pairs well with both classic and trendy middle names.
Meaning of the name Gordon:
Scottish: Large, spacious fort
Origin of the name Gordon:
Gordon is a Scottish surname that has become a beloved given name. The Gordon clan is actually quite large in Scotland. It's believed that it's formed from the Gaelic elements “gor,” which means “large, spacious,” and “dun,” which means “fort.” It most likely started out as a place name given to people who lived near a large fort.
Symbolism of the name Gordon:
Because of its meaning, Gordon could be symbolic of strength and stability. It could also be a way to honor your Scottish or Gaelic roots or passion for the culture. Parents of the Christian faith may associate the name with Saint Gordon of Rome.
Style of the name Gordon:
Gender of the name Gordon:
Gordon is a boy's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Gordon:
Number of syllables in the name Gordon:
Emotion evoked from the name Gordon:
The baby name Gordon evokes images of someone who is independent and mysterious.
Alternative spellings for the name Gordon:
Nicknames for the name Gordon:
Popularity of the name Gordon:
According to the Social Security Administration, Gordon has been a top 1,000 baby name for boys since at least 1900. It was most popular in 1935 when it ranked at number 70. It last ranked at number 960 in 2020.
Related names for the name Gordon:
Great middle names for Gordon and their meanings:
- Michael (who is like God)
- Thomas (twin)
- Parker (park keeper)
- Wolf (wolf)
- Andrew (strong and manly)
- Kyle (narrow strait)
- James (supplanter)
- Milo (merciful, soldier)
- Tyler (tile maker)
Famous people with the name Gordon:
- Gordon Lightfoot (musician)
- Gordon Brown (former prime minister of the United Kingdom)
- Gordon Cooper (astronaut)
- Gordon Hayward (basketball player)
- Gordon MacRae (actor and singer)
- Gordon Ramsay (celebrity chef and TV host)
Gordons in popular culture:
- GordonBig Engine (character from the TV show “Thomas and Friends”)
- Gordon Bombay (character from the movie “The Mighty Ducks”)
- Gordon Gekko (character from the movie “Wall Street”)
- Gordon Shumway (character on the TV show “ALF”)
- Gordon Tracy (character from the TV show “Thunderbirds”)
- Gordon Robinson (character from the TV show “Sesame Street”)