Samira is a gorgeous traditional baby name for girls. Aesthetically pleasing in sound, this staple of South Asia and the Middle East has now become a favorite of the modern age. Samira is the name of the princess in Shimmer and Shine series, and Samira Fawaz is a character in the All American series. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Samira:
Arabic, Persian: Companion in evening conversation
Sanskrit, Marathi, Hindi, Telugu: Wind, gust, air
Origin of the name Samira:
Samira is the feminine variation of the name Samir. In Arabic, the name Samir derives from the Arabic root phrase سمير (s-m-r) and means “companion in evening conversation.” And in Sanskrit, the name derives from the root समीर (meaning “wind” or “air”).
Symbolism of the name Samira:
Samira originates from the Arabic root phrase سمير (s-m-r) and means “evening companion.” According to Quran 19:52, the Arabic root refers to a beloved friend who communes in the late evening to talk. The symbol of Samira is the crescent moon.
Style of the name Samira:
Gender of the name Samira:
Samira is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Samira:
Number of syllables in the name Samira:
Emotion evoked from the name Samira:
The name Samira evokes feelings of loyalty and love.
Alternative spellings for the name Samira:
Nicknames for the name Samira:
Popularity of the name Samira:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Samira was the 924th most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Samira:
Great middle names for Samira and their meanings:
- Aaliyah (high, lofty, sublime)
- Badr (full moon)
- Callie (most beautiful, freeman, strong, virile)
- Fajr (dawn, daybreak, advent, beginning)
- Gianna (God is gracious)
- Iman (faith, devotion, belief)
- Jyoti (light)
- Jumana (silver pearl)
- Mumtaz (excellent, distinguished, exquisite)
- Rubab (musical instrument, lyre)
- Rawda (meadow, garden, pasture)
- Widad (love, affection, friendship)
Famous people with the name Samira:
- Samira Ahmed (television journalist)
- Samira Asghari (Olympic representative)
- Samira Abdul Razzaq Bensaïd (singer)
- Samira Farouk (nephrologist)
- Samira Azer Gizi Efendiyeva (singer)
- Samira Ali Gutoc (women's rights advocate)
- Samira Ghastin Karimona (singer)
- Samira Mighty (television personality)
- Samira Mubareka (clinical microbiologist)
- Samira Denise Wiley (actress)
Samira in popular culture:
- Samira (princess in Shimmer and Shine series)
- Samira Fawaz (character in the All American series)