Benjamin is a baby name that began in the Old Testament in the last part of Genesis. It continues to be popular even today after the spread that occurred through the Protestant Reformation. There are many nicknames used for the name Benjamin today too including two of the most popular, Ben and Benny.
Meaning of the name Benjamin:
Hebrew: son of my right hand
Origin of the name Benjamin:
The baby name Benjamin comes from the ancient Hebrew name Binyamin. “Ben” means “son,” while the latter part, “yamin” means “right hand.” The baby name Benjamin first appeared in the Old Testament as the twelfth son of Jacob of the Old Testament. The name rose in popularity among Christians in England after the Protestant Reformation.
Symbolism of the name Benjamin:
The baby name Benjamin means “son of my right hand” because the original user of this name was one of the favored sons of Jacob. In the Old Testament, in the book of Genesis, Jacob pleaded for Benjamin's protection when the other sons went to Joseph for food during the famine. The name is one of the most popular names started by the Christian church.
Style of the name Benjamin:
Gender of the name Benjamin:
The baby name Benjamin is a name reserved for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Benjamin:
Number of syllables in the name Benjamin:
Emotion evoked from the name Benjamin:
Benjamin is a baby name that feels wholesome and full of strength. It is a baby name that feels complete and formal.
Alternative spellings for the name Benjamin:
Nicknames for the name Benjamin:
Popularity of the name Benjamin:
Benjamin started out on the top 100 list in 1900 until the year 1926. It then joined the top 200 list until 1967, when it went back on the top 100 list until 1974. The name has been on the top 50 list ever since 1975, and it now ranks on the top 10 list. In 2020, it was put at number seven overall.
Related names for the name Benjamin:
Great middle names for Benjamin and their meanings:
- Joseph (he will add)
- Daniel (God is my judge)
- Reed (a reed, red-haired)
- Thomas (twin)
- Noah (rest, comfort)
- Carl (free man)
- Levi (united, joined)
Famous people with the name Benjamin:
- Benjamin Carson (former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development)
- Benjamin Franklin (founding father)
- Benjamin Harrison (former president of the United States)
- Benjamin Stiller (actor, “Zoolander”)
- Benjamin Afflec (actor, “Justice League”)
- Benjamin Roethlistberger (NFL player, Pittsburgh Steelers)
Benjamins in popular culture:
- Benjamin Button (main character from “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”)
- Benjamin Braddock (main character in “The Graduate”)
- Benjamin Tennyson (main character on “Ben 10”)
- Benjamin Price (character on “Ravenswood”)
- Benjamin Wyatt (character on “Parks and Recreation”)
- Benjamin Gates (character on “National Treasure”)