Darien is an upscale and trendy baby name, but it is not as popular as it once was. In the mid-twentieth century, it got to the top 400 list! As of 2021, it is only a top 2,900 option for boys.
Meaning of the name Darien:
French: from Airelle
Origin of the name Darien:
Darien is a spelling variation of the baby name Darian. Darian likely originated as an elaborated version of Darren. Darren became popular in the mid-twentieth century because of actor Darren McGavin. It was once a surname in Ireland with an unknown meaning, but some believe that Darren was a play on Darrell. Darrell comes from the French d'Airelle, a surname representing someone who came from Airelle.
Symbolism of the name Darien:
Darien has unclear origins. It is probably an elaborated version of Darren, which also has unsure meanings. Darren was a surname in Ireland with an “unknown” meaning. Darren could also be a play on Darrell, the English version of d'Airelle. The French d'Airelle was a surname representing families “from Airelle.”
Style of the name Darien:
Gender of the name Darien:
Darien is a trendy name for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Darien:
Number of syllables in the name Darien:
Emotion evoked from the name Darien:
Darien is a trendy and wholesome name for boys. It is wholesome and refined.
Alternative spellings for the name Darien:
Nicknames for the name Darien:
- Day Day
Popularity of the name Darien:
Darien was first a top 1,000 baby name in America in 1965 at rank 721. It did best in 1994 at number 383. As of 2021, Darien is a top 2,900 option.
Related names for the name Darien:
Great middle names for Darien and their meanings:
- Christopher (bearer of Christ, a Christian)
- Levi (joined in harmony, united)
- Parker (park keeper)
- Scott (from Scotland)
- Thomas (twin)
- Michael (who is like God?)
- Conrad (bold counsel, brave counsel)
- Wyatt (brave at war)
Famous people with the name Darien:
- Darien Angadi (actor, singer, “Antony & Cleopatra”)
- Darien Graham (journalist)
- Darien Sills-Evans (actor, “One Bedroom”)
Dariens in popular culture:
- Darien Taylor (character from “Wall Street”)
- Darien Shields (character from “Sailor Moon”)
- Darien Kjeldor (character from “Magic: The Gathering”)
- Darien Lambert (character from “Time Trax”)
- Darien Maugrim (character from “The Fionavar Tapestry”)
- Darien (character from “Darien's Rise”)